125 discus start!

Aparker2005

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Alright all driftwood, Java Fern, filters and fish moved and everyone is acclimating nicely. The discus look tiny in this tank!

I was so scared of that popping noise - stand settling in. I guess I've read so many horror stories I was just nervous about having that big of a tank.

It looks extremely empty right now with only 2 pieces of small driftwood and a medium piece of spider wood. More wood and Java Fern/anubius next!

Reactions: shrimpaholich

Aparker2005

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Only pic I have so far. Definitely a work in progress. My spider wood is having to resoak after having it out of the 55 for a while.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
I personally feel that this is along the line of at least how much swimming space fish should have. I also feel that you shouldn't add any more discus. Those 6 should grow into that tank nicely.

What's your plan for a background? Blue would compliment those discus colors nicely.

Aparker2005

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Not sure on a background. I looked at the blue ones today but just wasn't feeling them. Something planted looking, but light colors. Or something with a wood type look. Wife is probably picking it out.

xraycer

Arapaima
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2013
Southern NH USA
Not sure on a background. I looked at the blue ones today but just wasn't feeling them. Something planted looking, but light colors. Or something with a wood type look. Wife is probably picking it out.
Check out Youtube to get ideas on background color/designs

nossalucard

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2015
North Carolina
LET THAT SAND SETTLE, or you will destroy your impellers on ANY filter almost if it's not WELL PREFILTERED BEFORE GETTING TO THE IMPELLER.....

Other than that, and getting temp right (I'd also use some of the other tanks dirty siphoned water if possible) yea your filters are cycled so you should be good.

What will help with the sand cloud: get either a micron filter (HOT MAGNUM) or a powerhead with an aquaclear "quickfilter" to catch all the dust crap from the sand. UUUUghhh, i HATE SAND, it just destroys filters sooner or later, or starts an earlier demise than normal..

Also, where in Shreve did you get the tank? I was stationed there(Bossier) at Barskdale AFB before I retired in 2014. The only store they had was that crappy "Critter Co", and it sucked sooooooo BAD.

Best of luck.

Aparker2005

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
I got the tank at petsmart in Shreveport. There or Dallas was the only petsmart close that had them. We live in south arkansas. We originally wanted to get a drilled 125 at our lfs, but a deal is hard to pass up.

Sand is completely settled, water parameters are perfect. My Rummy Nose and cories are still pale however. I think they're still stressed. There isn't many places to hide in the tank yet as we need more decor and the center piece is still not sinking. Hopefully they get back to normal soon.

Aparker2005

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
As far as heating the tank, I think I'm under heated. I only have my 200w heater available right now. I'm thinking I'm getting one for Christmas but may need it before then.

Hester is in the middle of the tank. My thermometer at one end says 82 to 83 pretty steady. In the 55, the temp stayed at 84 to 86. Do I need to turn the heater up more until I get a new one? It's on 86 temperature right now.

Also does sand tend to wash fishes color out? My yellow, orange, and pigeon blood discus all look great but my 2 blues seem not as deep of color. Rummy Nose and cories are washed out as well. The rummies are starting to get their deep red noses back slowly. I don't have hardly any decor yet in the tank, so could they darken up once I get more cover and a background? Everything else is going great.

Aparker2005

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2015
Got a background and eheim jager thermostat heater for $34 last night. The single 200w is just being overworked

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store