125 gallon Frontosa Setup on a budget (load warning)

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
looks like you downsized the hose for your fx5 is this true ? if so you may run into issue's of decresing the flow... i have a couple fx5's, and i used 1" ID mesh vinyl hose attached to a custom 65" spray bar that is made from 3/4" ID (7/8" OD) i have like 43 holes drilled 1" apart forget the size of the hole tho maybe 1/8" and i can also adjust mine so it points more on the surface or more or just towards the front i didnt glue the actual spray bar it self which allows you to rotate it anyway you want as well as try differen bars in it for different applications i get CRAZY amount of flow from just the one fx5....

also i think you need a dual bulb t5h0 light on the tank ;) i just know where you can find one too lol

Wulfonce

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2009
Ontario
looks like you downsized the hose for your fx5 is this true ? if so you may run into issue's of decreasing the flow... i have a couple fx5's, and i used 1" ID mesh vinyl hose attached to a custom 65" spray bar that is made from 3/4" ID (7/8" OD) i have like 43 holes drilled 1" apart forget the size of the hole tho maybe 1/8" and i can also adjust mine so it points more on the surface or more or just towards the front I didn't glue the actual spray bar it self which allows you to rotate it anyway you want as well as try different bars in it for different applications i get CRAZY amount of flow from just the one fx5....

also i think you need a dual bulb t5h0 light on the tank ;) i just know where you can find one too lol
I went with the 3/4" ID tubing for three reasons

1) The ID of the stock FX5 Valve is 3/4"
2) the 1" stock tubing is ribbed on the inside (reducing flow)
3) I'm a cheap bastard and didn't want to spend $40 on tubing when I have 30' of the 3/4" in my basement. :ROFL:

Overall though, I really dont think I'm reducing the flow much if any? I didn't glue the spraybar either. Right now I have it pointed up and toward the back glass because the flow is still to much for the fronts. If I point it forward I get the "barrel roll" flow pattern and the fronts face forward to swim into the current. I think I'm going to enlarge my holes to 1/4. There a few sizes smaller then that right now, 9/32 or 17/64 cant remember which.

T5HO? I could have used it for my planted tank, if you asked me last year. =p

rob1984

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 9, 2012
ontario canada
I went with the 3/4" ID tubing for three reasons

1) The ID of the stock FX5 Valve is 3/4"
2) the 1" stock tubing is ribbed on the inside (reducing flow)
3) I'm a cheap bastard and didn't want to spend $40 on tubing when I have 30' of the 3/4" in my basement. :ROFL:

Overall though, I really dont think I'm reducing the flow much if any? I didn't glue the spraybar either. Right now I have it pointed up and toward the back glass because the flow is still to much for the fronts. If I point it forward I get the "barrel roll" flow pattern and the fronts face forward to swim into the current. I think I'm going to enlarge my holes to 1/4. There a few sizes smaller then that right now, 9/32 or 17/64 cant remember which.

T5HO? I could have used it for my planted tank, if you asked me last year. =p
yea thats what i would do is make your holes larger as it will let more water out and be or feel like less pressure less flow.....but ya i guess if you already had all the hose there then why not, but it will reduce flow just a tad tho... no biggie just thought i would mention it :)

and yep a t5h0 dual bulb unit, i give you a good deal on it ;) has 2 sets of bulbs one is new :D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store