125 Gallon Predator Tank

jjballer

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2014
Garden City
You should use you 125 gallon as your growout, get a bigger tank for your other fish. I hate to be the fish police but you tried keeping a snapper and 2 groupers and you wondered why one grouper was aggressive to the other. Both fish are predators and have a large bio load. Snappers are active fish. Panther groupers are pretty active especially for a grouper and they are in a 29 gallon. As for 125 gallon it is 18in tank with tons of rock doesn't help the swimming or water volume situation if you don't upgrade and move the fish in there.. You have all these messy eaters and your tank was running for about 3 months. I don't even want to ask about the filtration you have set up on your 29 gallon.

boym8087

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2014
Hawaii
Thanks for the comments.. A couple of things I'd like to add..

1. I am looking into a custom DIY plywood tank.. I expect to have it built and ready to go in November/December.. Once that's setup, I'm looking to make that my display, my 125 my grow, and the 29 a QT/HT..

2. I know it's large bioload on both tanks.. I do a 15g water change on my 29, 25-30g on my 125, twice a week for both.. Which means I'm changing 100% on my 29 and 40-45% a week on my 125..

3. The snapper grows pretty quickly.. My friend has one that's about 20".. He got it about two years ago when it was only about an inch and a half..

4. My final stock list would ideally be this..
White mouth moray
Undulated moray
Yellow-headed moray
Panther Grouper
Clown grouper
Humu trigger
Lunare wrasse
Hawaiian lionfish

All in an 8"x4"x2" tank.. Do you guys think that's big enough or should I go bigger??

Thanks for the input and opinions, appreciate all of them!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

boym8087

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2014
Hawaii
Also filtration for my tanks.. I turned the 40B I had into a sump for my 125.. Just waiting on Memorial Day for my LFS to have its 50% off sale so I can pick up a pump for it.. Once that's on and I have a skimmer for it, I'll move the emperor 400 I have on my 125 to my 29, as well as one of my larger hob skimmers..

boym8087

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2014
Hawaii
So I wasn't planning on picking anything up for the tank for a while, but I couldn't pass this guy up..

Anglerfish/frog fish was only $20 at my LFS..

The clown grouper is small compared to him!!

ImageUploadedByMonsterAquariaNetwork1399783556.686982.jpg

boym8087

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 24, 2014
Hawaii
A couple of updates, returned the snapper and panther grouper to my LFS. Moved the angler to the 29G for a species only tank, as he hasn't been eating in my larger tank. Ended up dying in the 29, not sure as to why. Was eating fine two days prior. Added an FX6 filter on my 125, as well as putting in my sump. Current filtration on the tank, fx6 filter, 2x hob protein skimmer (one rated for 125 g, one rated for up to 75g), emperor hob filter, 40g breeder sump (still researching skimmers for it)..

Stock list for my 125:

Fish
White mouth moray 2' long
Yellow-headed moray 2' long
Undulated moray 1'8" long
Clown Grouper 6" long
Humu trigger (rectangle) 7" long

Inverts
Reef Lobster
Anemone Hermit Crab
Various zebra hermit crabs

Stock List for 29g: