125 stocking suggestions? geos? or already full?

BPags52

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
wingate2581;3515387; said:
I think there may be a possibility of your plecos sucking the slimecoat off an eel as much as a poly.
I was afraid of that.

Ok thanks, still not sure what I'm going to do though (if anything). Will keep yall posted!

Nik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 20, 2009
USA
OK you have three options in my eyes:
1. take out the common silver dollars and add in 3-5 geos like everyone had said
2. take out the common silver dollars and add 3-5 frontosa cichlid ( aamazing colors and even more lively than the geo)
3. add 1 gt or salvini

andyjs

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2008
Ohio
I have a 150 community that has 3 cichlids-an oscar, a severum, and a single geo. Usually people recommend keeping geos in groups, and I think with some more skittish species, it's probably a good idea. The one I have is a male Geophagus sp. "Bahia Red" (originally had a female too until he suddenly turned on her) and he does fine by himself with the other bigger cichlids. So, a geo like a "Bahia red" (or the very similar Geo. brasiliensis) might still be a possibility.

Sevs are also pretty cool fish, although mine was really shy until I added the oscar (then he quickly started mimicing the oscar and rushing out to be fed). Another option would be a Uaru. Right now I'm growing out one of these guys to add to my cichlid community too. They aren't bright colored, but they have a pretty cool, unique look to them.

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Nice tank…

The two things that limit stocking are A) pollutants & B) aggression…

A) You’re the one in charge of water changes, what do you think? If you standard schedule keeps nitrates around 10ppm, no higher than 20... Then it sounds to me like you have room for more fish…

B) Since currently you only have one Cichlid in the tank with a bunch of open water fish, I think you have plenty of room for some ground dwelling fish such as Geos…

I have a breeding group of 25 young adult Red Hump Geos (3~5”), a pair of Elliots (5”) and a few Dempseys (4~7”) in my 125 gal… There are commonly games of nip and chase but there are no aggression issues.

MonteSS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2009
Centra Virginia
I have been looking at Uaru's lately and think they are really nice. Very unique look and fit your requirements.

I would also add a large cannister filter for sure.

...Bill

BPags52

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2009
Tallahassee, FL
Wellllll I didn't go with anything :grinno: Haven't given it much thought lately.

I've just been busy and for now am satisfied with how the tank is doing.

edit: I do like the suggestions though, still might do one of them, but not anytime soon. Other things are taking priority right now...

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store