125g/100g top/bottom freshwater to salt conversion

EastBay

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2010
SF East Bay
Oh. You've already been there, done that :)

Then you should have no problems transitioning to the world of salt!

Really, other than a few more pieces of equipment and having to deal with salt in the water, marine tanks are not much more difficult than freshwater. Personally, I think doing the research and then deciding what gear/stock to get is half the fun!

Good luck!

James22

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2010
Lake Mary Florida
When i was at the Pet store they had about 8 20 gallon tanks or so set up to one big sump, very simalar filter setup as you have though they Tee.ed the 2" over flow in two one inch flows... and on most large filters there intakes have a plastic grated cover and are one inch... un screw it screw in to a coupling top of the over flow to keep smaller fish.... or if you have a pets mart or something around ask them... If your nice they may hook ya up with a few

yogurt_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
AZ, USA
James22;4338514; said:
When i was at the Pet store they had about 8 20 gallon tanks or so set up to one big sump, very simalar filter setup as you have though they Tee.ed the 2" over flow in two one inch flows... and on most large filters there intakes have a plastic grated cover and are one inch... un screw it screw in to a coupling top of the over flow to keep smaller fish.... or if you have a pets mart or something around ask them... If your nice they may hook ya up with a few
interesting, I'll have to take a look

yogurt_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
AZ, USA
so plans are changing due to circumstances beyond my control. My 125g cracked down the middle of the back panel:cry:. Luckily for me however I had just been given a free 135g that I finished re-sealing on wednesday. I'm going to fill it tonight to test it in the garage and see how well I did.

my fish are currently chilling in the 100g that was formerly the sump. I moved it on top and it is currently a self sump. lol

the 135g has it own stand that is not really large sump friendly, it does have a small one but not anything I'd be comfortable with on a salt tank.

That said all the other panels on my 125g are in perfect condition and I have been thinking about a build out.

So on that note how big of a tank do you think a 100g sump would suffice for? (as won't have anything else bigger, the 135 is a more show/display tank for freshwater the way it's setup)

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
yogurt_21;4353827; said:
so plans are changing due to circumstances beyond my control. My 125g cracked down the middle of the back panel:cry:. Luckily for me however I had just been given a free 135g that I finished re-sealing on wednesday. I'm going to fill it tonight to test it in the garage and see how well I did.

my fish are currently chilling in the 100g that was formerly the sump. I moved it on top and it is currently a self sump. lol

the 135g has it own stand that is not really large sump friendly, it does have a small one but not anything I'd be comfortable with on a salt tank.

That said all the other panels on my 125g are in perfect condition and I have been thinking about a build out.

So on that note how big of a tank do you think a 100g sump would suffice for? (as won't have anything else bigger, the 135 is a more show/display tank for freshwater the way it's setup)
Wow, why did it crack? Was it just purely random or had there been some sort of damage there before?

yogurt_21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2009
AZ, USA
Heathd;4354147; said:
Wow, why did it crack? Was it just purely random or had there been some sort of damage there before?
no damage that I had seen before, I didn't exactly see what caused it but my two 20" plecos were wrestling around when I walked in after hearing the noise.

still don't see how it happened but luckily my 100g and 135 have thicker glass so it shouldn't affect them at all.

the 125 has 3/8" glass and I couldn't tell you the age of it, I got it used.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Yea, 3/8 is a little thin for that size tank, IMO... but Im not a tank builder either. I imagine their tails hit it. Every time I have dealt with a pleco, I have notices how strong and rigid their rear section is.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store