125G: Firemouth Tank Suggestions

RyanM

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2016
Canton, OH
Always love seeing pic of your helleri.

I agree when it comes to thorichthys species, it’s good to be a little crowded as they live in groups in the wild. Meeki have a lot of attitude and in a group they are very entertaining w/ their little squabbles.
I have heard the same thing in the past. My 125g has 5 smallish Meeki, but I have 5 T. Aureum (aureus? whats the difference?) in another tank. Should I move the Het's out of the 125g and combine the Meeki/Aureum's?

Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 ?

Reactions: Toiletcar

FIU Panther

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2008
South Florida
Awesome tanks love the pics, and thanks for the suggestions.

It looks like some of my hardscape was tossed during the move! So now I need to find some new river stone.

I was able to pick up up 5 firemouths yesterday locally, I’ll try to pick up 7 more to round them out at 12, from what I’ve read they grow very slow.

I also picked up 10 red eye tetras to try and make them feel a little more comfortable. The swordtails they had didn’t look great. I’ll try a few more shops to up my Meeki numbers and source some decent looking swordtails.

What temps do you guys keep yours at? The tank is currently set at 79.

Reactions: Toiletcar

RyanM

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2016
Canton, OH
Awesome tanks love the pics, and thanks for the suggestions.

It looks like some of my hardscape was tossed during the move! So now I need to find some new river stone.

I was able to pick up up 5 firemouths yesterday locally, I’ll try to pick up 7 more to round them out at 12, from what I’ve read they grow very slow.

I also picked up 10 red eye tetras to try and make them feel a little more comfortable. The swordtails they had didn’t look great. I’ll try a few more shops to up my Meeki numbers and source some decent looking swordtails.

What temps do you guys keep yours at? The tank is currently set at 79.
I usually keep my CA tanks in the 75-77 range. I have read quite a bit lately suggesting that we generally keep our tanks too warm. Saves energy too, so seems to be a win-win.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I would keep your thorichthys at no higher than 75.
My helleri were kept in unheated tanks that dropped to 70 at its lowest and no higher than 75.
Aureaus, helleri and probably a few others are shorter lived in higher temps.
A lot of Google searches recommend temps as high as 80. This is too high for the long term care of most thorichthys.
Meeki are very widespread and are probably the most temp tolerant of the genus.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I have heard the same thing in the past. My 125g has 5 smallish Meeki, but I have 5 T. Aureum (aureus? whats the difference?) in another tank. Should I move the Het's out of the 125g and combine the Meeki/Aureum's?

Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 ?
Aureum/Aureaus, same thing, names get made up by shops or breeders,some unfortunately stick. They only serve to add confusion in my opinion. Its normally a stunt to make the fish sound more appealing.

If your tanks set up and its stock is working, then no need to fix it.
However, thorichthys do do well in large groups and it does go a long way in curbing aggression.
If you are going to add the other group and move the hets, I would do it sooner rather than later before they become mature.

FIU Panther

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2008
South Florida
Thanks for the advice Stanzzzz7.

Brought the numbers of the Meeki to 15, these guys are only about 2"-3". They're busy little guys, they've been spending their time constantly sifting through sand and flaring at each other. You can easily lose track of time if you sit in front of the tank.

I'll be dropping my heater's set temps, although being in South Florida I don't really keep my house much cooler than 74-75, and when I leave to work I usually set the thermostat to 78. I guess that tank will basically act as unheated and adjust to the temps of the house.

I'm still looking for some nice live bearers in the local shops, I may just end up going with a non wild strain that just looks nice.

On a side note, has anyone experienced any issues with red eye tetras? I have 10 in the tank and I think one of my firemouths had his tail completely eaten down the first day.

Toiletcar

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
USA
Thanks for the advice Stanzzzz7.

Brought the numbers of the Meeki to 15, these guys are only about 2"-3". They're busy little guys, they've been spending their time constantly sifting through sand and flaring at each other. You can easily lose track of time if you sit in front of the tank.

I'll be dropping my heater's set temps, although being in South Florida I don't really keep my house much cooler than 74-75, and when I leave to work I usually set the thermostat to 78. I guess that tank will basically act as unheated and adjust to the temps of the house.

I'm still looking for some nice live bearers in the local shops, I may just end up going with a non wild strain that just looks nice.

On a side note, has anyone experienced any issues with red eye tetras? I have 10 in the tank and I think one of my firemouths had his tail completely eaten down the first day.
Red eye usually are peaceful IME, so not sure.

Tank is looking great!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store