135 discus build thread!!!

Mfd513

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2011
Arkansas
Well as much as it will pain yall i got most of the fake plants put in today but I think yall have talked me in to giving real plants another shot wih all the sweet pics of yalls tanks. I will need some really tall plants because im planning on having 5-6 hatchets and a large grpoup of tetras in here and would like to give them a place to hide. But as far as progress ive got the heater going and have the airstones running and im planning on adding a bnp and some sterbia corys this weekend. tank.jpg

tank.jpg

arowanas lover

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2011
Arizona, USA
plants bothers me but it looks good =] keep up the good work

Mfd513

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2011
Arkansas
Thanks!! Im really enjoying it so far its been a big hit with my girl and her kids now tha its gonna have "pretty fish" in it as she calls them. Ive got to work the next two days but saturday afternoon or sunday morning a trip to the LFS is happening for sure!!

3dees

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 23, 2010
Chicago suburb
I hope you realize that every now and then you will have to remove those plastic plants and wash them. they will collect algae like any other decoration.

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
I hope you realize that every now and then you will have to remove those plastic plants and wash them. they will collect algae like any other decoration.
So will live plants, unless there are enough of them to deprive the algae of nutrients.

But anyway, nice tank, OP. That will look great once the fish are in there.:thumbsup:

Mfd513

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 1, 2011
Arkansas
Hey thanks guys. Well I went yesterday and picked up the tanks first fish a small bristle nose pleco and a pair of German blue rams. I also had the lfs order my some sterbia Cory's with their next order which will be some time the week after thanksgiving. I may try to get buy and get some cardinal or lemon tetras before then the tank still looks pretty empty. As a side note I found out that my lfs is a dealer for Hans discus so that will deffetently make it easier when I get to that point. Once again thanks for all the compliments.

WeeNe858

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 20, 2006
:]
Follow the list people have suggested already.

Amazon swords need root nutrients. I recommend you add some laterite to the substrate in the area you plant the amazon sword in. This will definitely help its growth and laterite is pretty cheap.

Jungle vals will be in the same category as amazon swords, just not as finicky. Fast, easy growers.

Jave fern and anubias (of any sort) are easy plants as well. Just make sure not to bury the rhizome otherwise they go bad.

If you provide a decent amount of 6500k lighting, you don't have to bother with ferts or any other technical issues with these plants.

I would also suggest some amazon frog bit for top cover for the hatchets and discus to feel a bit more secure. Its another easy grower.

Good luck and have fun!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store