135 gallon cichlid stocking help

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
So I have a 135 gallon tank. I was wondering if I would be able too add these two cichlids together and how many of each would be recommended.

Blue dolphins (Cyrtocara moorii)
Star sapphire (Placidochromis sp. Phenochilus Tanzania)

They really are so gorgeous so I was wondering if these could pair well together and how many of each should I do in a 135 if so. It's a 6 foot long 135

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Since they are both found over large sandy plains in Lake Malawi, both their habitat preference would match, so the tank should work if hey are given an open unobstructed sand substrate.
And as puffers4puffers said, each species would prefer to be in groups of at least 5 of their own kind

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
Since they are both found over large sandy plains in Lake Malawi, both their habitat preference would match, so the tank should work if hey are given an open unobstructed sand substrate.
And as puffers4puffers said, each species would prefer to be in groups of at least 5 of their own kind
Ok awesome! As for sex, should I try for males or females or does that matter?
Also when you say unobstructed sand substrate. Do you mean keep the tank as less cluttered as possible? So maybe just some rocks here and there and give them alot of space to swim? So no need to have line of site blocks or anything?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Do you mean keep the tank as less cluttered as possible? So maybe just some rocks here and there and give them alot of space to swim? So no need to have line of site blocks or anything?
That is what I mean.
I kept a group of Fossorochromis rostratus (found in the same habitat with the species you mention)n in a similar size tank, and it seemed the more open space I provided the batter
As far as sex ratios, if you start with juvies(and that's how i would start), it will be hard to determine who's who at a immature size

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
That is what I mean.
I kept a group of Fossorochromis rostratus (found in the same habitat with the species you mention)n in a similar size tank, and it seemed the more open space I provided the batter
As far as sex ratios, if you start with juvies(and that's how i would start), it will be hard to determine who's who at a immature size
Ok sounds goos. I will get 5-6 juveniles of each and let me decide the tank set up. Ill keep an eye out of them. Thank you so much

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
For some reason I gravitate toward these sand dwellers., no matter what continent they come from
In lake Malawi, the two you mention follow shoals of Fossorochrims rostratus as they plow thru the sand then picking up their leftovers.
I'm fascinated by the connections.
But not only Africans, the South American versions would be the Geophagines
1702819915171.png
Central America would be Cribroheros, and Thorichthys.
1702819984961.png
In Madagascar the Ptychochromis.
1702820083985.png
All have similar mouth structure, and all seem to do best in shoals, and when or if decor like territorial markers are provided, they often do more harm than good, being the cause of turf disputes in the limited space of a tank.
Here in Panama though, the cichlid followers are instead, tetras, that scavenge the bits that the earth moving cichlids dredge up.
Below Darienheros calobrense stirring up the sand, and tetras that follow them
IMG_1199.jpegIMG_2234.jpegIMG_8566.jpeg

punman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2016
Of the two fish you mention, the blue dolphins are the only one have have kept. As adults I would think a 90 gallon tank and up is good. They are tough to sex when young and from my experience quite slow growing to maturity. Those might be negative qualities but I think they are nice fish and have large spawns if raising fry is what you are looking for.

Reactions: tlindsey

Nyrkorey

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2021
For some reason I gravitate toward these sand dwellers., no matter what continent they come from
In lake Malawi, the two you mention follow shoals of Fossorochrims rostratus as they plow thru the sand then picking up their leftovers.
I'm fascinated by the connections.
But not only Africans, the South American versions would be the Geophagines
View attachment 1531771
Central America would be Cribroheros, and Thorichthys.
View attachment 1531772
In Madagascar the Ptychochromis.
View attachment 1531773
All have similar mouth structure, and all seem to do best in shoals, and when or if decor like territorial markers are provided, they often do more harm than good, being the cause of turf disputes in the limited space of a tank.
Here in Panama though, the cichlid followers are instead, tetras, that scavenge the bits that the earth moving cichlids dredge up.
Below Darienheros calobrense stirring up the sand, and tetras that follow them
View attachment 1531763View attachment 1531761View attachment 1531765
They are so gorgeous, I have another 135 gallon of geophagus sveni and I absolutely love love love them. I have a thing for these type of cichlid. They are finally mature enough where all the colors are finally coming through really well..
As for the dolphins and Stars. Ima start out with 5-6 of each. Should I keep it at that number or would lets day 5 of each at maturity be too much for a 135?

1234fish

Exodon
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2020
I have kept (and currently keep) both of these. I think those numbers sound about right. If you want and are willing to dwindle down the population based on what ratios you want to end with, I would recommend starting out with more (8 or so of each). This give you more flexibility in ending with what you want, but make sure you have somewhere to give the fish to before going down this path. As mentioned both fish are great , fish. I have found the dolphins to be a bit more aggressive than the stars, but adding more seems to help with this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store