135g stocking help

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
So I am working on restoring a 135 gallon, six foot aquarium. I currently have a 20 gallon with a 2" green severum, a 2.5" blue acara and 6 angelicus loaches ranging from1.5-2.5". I have to reseal the 135, build a stand and canopy, and decorate it. I have 3 - 50lb bags of pool filter sand for sediment and I will have plenty of plants (probably fake ones) and caves made of rock and flower pots.

So I had this stock list planned out:
- 1 green severum
- 1 blue acara
- 4-5 geo tapajos
- 6 angelicus loaches
- 4 clown loaches

But I have been thinking about making this a severum breeding tank:
- 4-5 severums (turquoise, super reds and the green I have)
- 1 blue acara
- 6 angelicus loaches
- 4 clown loaches

Do you think that the severums can successfully breed in the tank with all the other fish?

I want to breed severums, but if they work best alone, I will wait until I can get a 60-75 gallon tank for cheap.

Sent from my iPad using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Chrisvx220

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2012
UK
I wouldn't bother breeding them with other fish in the tank it will be a pain, the Severum pair will fight with the other severums like crazy and the loaches will constantly skirmish against them for the odd tasty egg/fry. You would be better of setting up the display tank and sticking a pair of severums into a seperate breeding tank when mature, you could grow and pair them in the display tank and then transfer them.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
I wouldn't bother breeding them with other fish in the tank it will be a pain, the Severum pair will fight with the other severums like crazy and the loaches will constantly skirmish against them for the odd tasty egg/fry. You would be better of setting up the display tank and sticking a pair of severums into a seperate breeding tank when mature, you could grow and pair them in the display tank and then transfer them.
That sounds good. I will do that. Once my tank is up and running, I will have add all the juvies in and since severums are not super fast growers, I will have time to get that 60-75 gallon tank and get it running.

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Shoot for a 75 for a pair of sevs. 60gallon has a 12in width and they look really cramped in that. The 18in width of a 75 is alot better. You can probably find a 75 with stand for $250-300 on craigslist when you're ready for it.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
Shoot for a 75 for a pair of sevs. 60gallon has a 12in width and they look really cramped in that. The 18in width of a 75 is alot better. You can probably find a 75 with stand for $250-300 on craigslist when you're ready for it.
Okay. Well I definitely want them to have enough room. I will just wait until someone is selling one that needs resealing or for $75. I build my own stands. I trust the ones I build more than manufacturer made stands. The manufacturer made ones always seem less stable and when you live with super active cats and dogs, stability is important.

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
I have been thinking that if I get the geos and the clown loaches along with the 6 angelicus loaches I already have, I will have a crowded bottom layer. So I have been thinking of rehoming the angelicus loaches, getting the geos and clown loaches and getting a flagtail prochilodus instead of having the angelicus. Or maybe getting rams or kribs instead of the angelicus (although they too are bottom/mid dwellers, so it still might be crowded)?

So my original idea was to have:
1 green severum (already have)
1 blue acara (already have)
6 angelicus loaches (already have)
4 clown loaches
4-5 red head geo tapajos
7-8 Denison barbs

Do you think the bottom is too crowded this way?

Now I know the flagtail will swallow whole anything that fits in its mouth, so the rams, kribs and barbs would not likely mix with it.

So my options are to remove the the barbs and angelicus for the flagtail. Remove the angelicus for rams or kribs. Or to keep the set up I am originally thought of. Thoughts?

Mythic Figment

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2012
Florida
So I actually made up my mind. LOL Well....on part of it anyways.

I will drop the clown loaches and keep my Angelicus because I don't have to worry if they have enough room with the geos. I am still torn on which of top fish to add to the tank.

My current list is:

1 green severum
4 turquoise severum (will be moved to a 75 gallon or rehomed once I have a breeding pair)
1 blue acara (may be giving this one to a friend who thinks I have a male he can breed with his female)
5-6 red head geo tapajos
6 Angelicus loaches

For the extra room, I was thinking one of two additions. 1 flagtail prochilodus or 7-8 Dennison barbs?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store