15" Umbee Sick Help!

FHlov

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2011
Hawaii
don't use maracyn soley for treatment, it doesn't actually work for gram negative bacteria. Maracyn-2 however does work, so you could use the double combo of marcyn and maracyn-2 to prevent other infections or issues.

Modest_Man

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 5, 2006
Washington
Try a very diligent treatment with Furan 2 or Bifuran, basically a mixture of Nitrofurazone and Furazolidone.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
A study found in the second link that I posted previously. (http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/columnaris_disease.php#[4])

Characterization of four Flavobacterium columnare (Flexibacter columnaris) strains isolated from tropical fish.

Decostere A, Haesebrouck F, Devriese LA.
SourceLaboratory of Veterinary Bacteriology and Mycology, University of Gent, Merelbeke, Belgium.

Abstract
Four Flavobacterium columnare strains (AJS 1-4) were isolated from black mollies (Poecilia sphenops) and platies (Xiphophorus maculatus), showing white spots on the back, head and skin ulcers. The isolates developed characteristic rhizoid yellow pigmented colonies on Shieh agar and typical growth in Shieh broth. They were Gram-negative, filamentous bacteria exhibiting flexing movements. When compared to F. columnare strains isolated from temperate fish, it was noted that the four strains originating from tropical aquarium fish are more capable of growing at higher temperatures, the opposite being true for the strains isolated from temperate fish. Biochemical characterization and agglutination tests proved that the isolated strains could be classified as F. columnare. Low minimal inhibitory concentration (MIC) values were found for chloramphenicol, erythromycin, furazolidone, kanamycin, lincomycin, nalidixic acid, oxytetracycline and streptomycin. MIC values were high for colistin, sulfamethoxazole and neomycin. Pathogenicity studies were performed on black mollies. When these animals were submersed in an infective solution of the F. columnare strains, a marked difference in virulence was noted among the four isolated strains, strain AJS 1 being the most virulent one and strain AJS 4 being of low virulence.
The following are confirmed drugs of choice for this disease ...... chloramphenicol, erythromycin, furazolidone, kanamycin, lincomycin, nalidixic acid, oxytetracycline and streptomycin.

The sooner that you begin treatment, the greater the chances of your fish surviving.

Rocksor

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Nov 28, 2011
San Diego
Using erythormycin (Maracyn) did not work for me. Fish was dead 24 hours after symptoms started.

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Columnaris (flexibacter - gram-negative)) I just pulled a large male Paraneetroplus breidohri from the brink of death. Start treatment right away by:
1. isolating the fish, making sure to use cooler water (~75F) and increase aeration.
2. Using a combination of Kanamycin (specific to gram-negative), and furazolidone/nitrofurazone (treats gram-positive (secondary infection) and gram-negative as well (Furan-2 from API) added to the water in the recommended dose. Also, even though kanamycin is absorbed through the skin of the fish, once he starts eating, soak some food in kanamycin and get him to ingest it.
3. Don't give up. It may take a week or so for improvement to be noticed (ie may get worse before it gets better).
4. If secondary fungus appears, I use methylene blue and/or pimafix. Also salt (1 tbsp per 5G) is effective against flexibacter too. Your case is going to be severe and if not treated, it's just a matter of time (can be sickeningly quick) before death occurs.
Here's a link that you might want to go to: http://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...=yJTVVHTDj8a7RuqpQR8uYg&bvm=bv.47534661,d.aWc
Good info. Good luck.
Jim

BayArea_510

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2011
$.HAYWARD CA
So far i just waterchanged nd turned off one of my heaters nd i added salt , nd qucik cure since thats all i have right now but ima get other medicine asap

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
The problem with Flavobacterium columnare is that there are several different strains of this bacteria, so while one form or method of treatment may work for one person, for the next it may already be too late to even begin treatment. Age of the fish, overall immune function, overall environmental conditions, stage of the infection, etc-etc, also all play a role in how a sick fish will react to medication & potential recovery. Which is why erythormycin (Maracyn) will work miracles for some outbreaks, and perhaps not so great for others.

While there are a number of different medications beyond erythormycin that are proven to work against Flavobacterium columnare, the study (and medication) that I previously posted is probably the most detailed work that has been performed to date, by actual accredited "published" researchers in this field. Annemie Decostere is one of the lead researchers in the world on this subject, has been published several times, and been referenced scores of times in numerous papers on this particular disease. The following paper, also co-authored by Decostere, was published just this year.

http://link.springer.com/content/pdf/10.1186/1297-9716-44-27.pdf

Or you can believe what you read by some guy on the internet who sells "wonder shells".

notho2000

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 16, 2010
winnipeg, canada
Or you can believe what you read by some guy on the internet who sells "wonder shells".
That's a pretty "cheap shot" RD. Both at the person who wrote the article and the person who recommended that it might have some value to the OP's understanding of his situation.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
That wasn't directed at you personally, Jim, sorry if you took it that way.

Having said that, regardless of how you (or the author of that article) may view my comment, I stand by it 100%.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The scientific paper has very detailed and great info, and should be read by all, even if it appears to technical and daunting.
The way bacteria are able to adapt to toxins in their environment, and with today's excessive use of antibiotics would seem to me, to be constantly producing resistant strains almost overnight, so treatment will be an ever challenging condition for us all.
I also find the survivability of the bacteria in mud interesting, and troubling, and tends to make the practice of water changing with vacuuming even more necessary.
I know this is a bit off topic, but I have long held the view that the protozoa causing ich can have that same dormant ability.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store