150 Gallon Aggressive Community Update 13th June 2010

Cichlidfever

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2005
Bowie, MD.
Very nice setup! I don't know how you do it, they seem to do well with each other. I especially like the RTM, very nice. You really have something to look at a drool over, lol...

ccebr

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2010
England
cheers all! :D

watch this space! when i have time i'll make another vid just to show the aggression between them. This video doesnt show any. Tbh though they get along pretty well,with occassional fights and chasing.

Most of the aggression comes from the jags...the dovii is very placid, however she definately holds her own against the big male jag and he always has cuts and scratches on his mouth from her. The aro is suprisingly aggressive too but only towards the big jag.

i would say the smaller jag is becoming a right brute too and bullys all the smaller fish including the motas, jd, gold saum and jewel. He's grown so much since iv had him he was about 1-2" when i got him back in Feb, and hes now about 5.5". Hes making some good progress and always hungry!

The big jag is definately the biggest bully but the dovii is the biggest threat, but luckilly relatively peacfull.

I would say if you wanted to try a dovii in a community, get a female. The gal i got was in my lfs for about a year ( maybe longer) and she was always living in a very crowded tank, so shes more lenient towards the others. However shes got some big gnashers on her and could ruin any of the others at any time. Doviis are a touchy topic in terms of community fish, but luckily for me it workd.

The aggression has also mellowed out a lot since i removed all hiding spots making the tank more bare....ther are fewer territories to dispute over

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store