150 gallon sealing question

SublimizeD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2019
Hey all! I just got my hands on a 150 drilled aquarium I want to move my discus and baby arowana into. I was able to cut off the two overflows and want to seal the two sets of holes with glass. I’ve used 1/2” glass to seal like this in the past. Is this too much or should I stick with what has worked?View attachment IMG_0474.jpeg

dmyersWv

Piranha
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2022
I use a piece of cheap plexi from lowes cut to have 1inch or so all the way around the holes. Apply generous amounts of 100% silicone and press it down. I've done this on many tanks and never had an issue.

SublimizeD

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2019
I use a piece of cheap plexi from lowes cut to have 1inch or so all the way around the holes. Apply generous amounts of 100% silicone and press it down. I've done this on many tanks and never had an issue.
I must have not seen this online cause the thickest piece I saw was 5/32 way too thin

Sassafras

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2009
SE USA
I'm with Midwater Midwater , use a bulkhead and plug. Nice and neat on both ends, more secure than a plexiglass-to-glass silicone bond, and the easiest to undue should you ever decide to use the holes.

Reactions: Midwater

fishdance

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
You can use 6mm glass to patch 12mm tank bottoms and 4mm glass on walls if the hole is higher up.

The hole is quite small. If you want a tidy looking seal, use the offcut drilled out waste piece of glass from a slightly wider diameter. Leave a thick silicone bead between when you glue. It will be very easy to remove later.

Silicone seal all edges of the patch otherwise dirt and algae get between which is almost impossible to remove unless the patch is taken off.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store