150 gallon setup

jschall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2009
Chico, California
So, I'm getting ready to set up a 150 gallon tall (48"L x 24"W x 30"H), which will have bichirs in it. Here's my plan and questions:

The tank has a corner overflow, which I will drain to a 40 gallon sump through a 7" filter sock. The sump will be full of biomedia, uv sterilizer, maybe an algae scrubber, and possibly acting as a refugium for growing out fish. Through the wall is my washer and dryer, so the plan is to split off the washer's water supply through a chlorine filter to a float valve auto-topoff. There will then be a small pump that runs for a set amount of time to remove water regularly.

So, that's my rough plan. Here's my questions:

The overflow will flow about 400-500gph I think. It's the only filter intake there will be. There are no mid-level or low-level intakes. Will this be ok with some well-placed powerheads?
Filter socks: I think this will be the easiest way to get good mechanical filtration in a sump while freeing up as much space as possible for other things. Thoughts? I hear they clog fast.

And finally, fish: I have an ornate bichir and a delhezi bichir moving in. What else should I do? I want try to keep it at least african, if not congo river biotope. Remember, this is a very tall tank. I'm definitely doing african butterfly fish, I'd like an african brown knife (bichir compatibility?) What else can I do? I've experimented with congo tetras and concluded that they like to feed themselves to bichirs by just sitting on the bottom at night. I also like elephantnose fish. I may sell bichirs to open up my options - in which case I might just screw it and go malawi cichlids.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store