S.W.I.M.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2022
Hello,
New to this site, been keeping mixed community fish for over 20 years. Generally tropical south american and different catfish. I am upgrading from a 55 gallon (48" long) to a 150 gallon (66" long..weird dimensions). I've never had a tank this large and have no clue what I'm doing with it. This will be a long post.. sorry. Many questions. Thank you to anyone who actually reads all of this.

I'm looking to keep up the community theme, but add some generally peaceful schools/shoals, and one or two medium to larger fish (no bigger than 6-8 inches). Will I have any issues with any of these combinations? For the fish I want only 1-3 of..I know some will be happier with more, but can they be kept in these low numbers with all other tankmates? Do I need to trim it down because of size, filtration (API rena filstar XP canister filter, 400 GPH), compatibility, etc?

Here's what I will start with (because I want to rebuild schools for current fish I have before adding others):
- 5 cherry barbs
- 6-10 glass catfish
- 4 white skirt tetras
- 4 black skirt tetras
- 4 bleeding heart tetras
- 2 raphael catfish (one 6" striped, one 5" spotted)
- 2 upside catfish (one older fully grown 5" one younger little over 1")
- 1 banjo catfish (fully grown, about 5")
- 1 common pleco (about 15")

Here's what I'm thinking of adding after I rebuild the schools (basically must haves):
- 6 bolivian rams
- 5 gold barbs
- 5 diamond tetras
- 6 boesemani rainbows
- 4 pearl gouramis

Here's what I want to add (but not must haves):
- 4-6 apistos (would need advice on what kind)
- 2-3 lavender opaline gouramis
- 6 julii corys
- 4 vampire shrimp
- 5 Odessa barbs
- 4-6 headstanders

For the larger (I guess centerpiece) fish:
- 1 geophagus tapajos
- 1 electric blue acara

Can the geo tapajos and EBA fit/live together happily if they're both single males? Will be introduced to the tank last as juveniles. Artificial plants, sand substrate. Not concerned about digging.

I know I have a lot of space, but some of these fish are very dear to me (spotted raphael is 16 years old and has been dragged through the mud at times..my baby! Cherry barbs are 4th generation, and I'm likely looking at another generation soon). I really want to avoid any getting eaten/killed. Yes, I'm aware of the geo and EBA full size..as well as EBA temperament at times. I'm in no rush..plenty of time to stock and let the smaller fish grow a little.

Again, thanks if you read all this!

Reactions: dr exum

S.W.I.M.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2022
I would reduce the number of different species and instead bump up the school size of the ones you want to a dozen each or more. You will see better color and behavior imho
Thanks! Yes I forgot to mention these lists don't mean I will get every species. They're just the options that I like and have to whittle down.

MultipleTankSyndrome

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 25, 2021
Loachaholica
The vampire prawns may become lunch for the Raphaels or acara, I'd leave them out.

My advice would be if possible to rehome the common pleco, otherwise you will have a semi-aggressive poop machine that will grow to 61 cm and therefore outgrow your tank.

Celebrist is correct on increasing the numbers of a few giving better color and behavior. And not only that, you may find you enjoy sizable schools of afew species more than a big mishmash of many species.

I can highly recommend the Odessa barbs as one of the species you get a big school of. Absolutely stunning fish.

AqAdvisor can also help you stock the tank: https://aqadvisor.com/

Reactions: S.W.I.M.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
I would definitely up the numbers for the amount of tetras, but lower the species. I would do 16+ of each group. Don’t know anything about vampire prawns. Be warned, Raphael’s will hide very well, and most find them boring! Do you have a specific fish you want? Are you set on the Acaras?

Deadeye

POTM Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2020
I’d bet on the cichlids or headstanders attempting to eat the shrimp.
What kind of headstanders? A lot of species with various aggression levels and sizes.
I agree to pick only a few schools, it makes for a less chaotic display. I personally also wouldn’t do the gouramis, the bioload is already quite high and they wouldn’t really help it.

S.W.I.M.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2022
The vampire prawns may become lunch for the Raphaels or acara, I'd leave them out.

My advice would be if possible to rehome the common pleco, otherwise you will have a semi-aggressive poop machine that will grow to 61 cm and therefore outgrow your tank.

Celebrist is correct on increasing the numbers of a few giving better color and behavior. And not only that, you may find you enjoy sizable schools of afew species more than a big mishmash of many species.

I can highly recommend the Odessa barbs as one of the species you get a big school of. Absolutely stunning fish.

AqAdvisor can also help you stock the tank: https://aqadvisor.com/
Aw that sucks I love vampires. Figured it wouldn't work but was hoping their size and shell would help. Oh well.

I won't rehome pleco until it reaches closer to 20" (my wife has bonded with him). Once he's too big I can donate him to the indoor pond at the LFS I work at currently. He's already a semi-aggressive poop machine..just only 15" lmao. I've been able to contain and control water parameters and bio-load..but yes, even she knows he eventually has to go. I'm probably wrong, but I feel like with the right setup he can grow comfortably once I put him in the new 150 gallon. He's basically the reason I chose to upgrade.

Reactions: dr exum

S.W.I.M.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2022
I would definitely up the numbers for the amount of tetras, but lower the species. I would do 16+ of each group. Don’t know anything about vampire prawns. Be warned, Raphael’s will hide very well, and most find them boring! Do you have a specific fish you want? Are you set on the Acaras?
I already have both raphaels, I love my boring catfish! My 16 y.o. spotted used to come out and say hi (I used to work until late night and would get home after lights out) until his old buddy died and he got depressed. Now he doesn't say hi.

Not set on the acaras..would rather have the geo tapajos than acara. Was just wondering if one of each (male) would be a bad idea. Probably is so I'll probably forget the acara.

Reactions: The Masked Shadow

S.W.I.M.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2022
I’d bet on the cichlids or headstanders attempting to eat the shrimp.
What kind of headstanders? A lot of species with various aggression levels and sizes.
I agree to pick only a few schools, it makes for a less chaotic display. I personally also wouldn’t do the gouramis, the bioload is already quite high and they wouldn’t really help it.
Ok, no shrimp and you're right I can do without the random gouramis.

Reactions: Deadeye
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store