150 gallon stocking

jschall

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2009
Chico, California
So, I'm planning to move away from my bichirs. I have an ornate and delhezi about 11" each and moved them into a 150 gallon tall, but now I want more fish and they will just eat anything I put in there. It's a tall tank, so it isn't really suited to bichirs. I want some surface and middle action.

So I'm going to sell them and start over completely. How should I stock it? Here's a couple of my ideas:

1. Malawi Mbuna
Pros: Colorful, active.
Cons: Boring, have to buy holey rock. Mbuna eat plants.

2. African butterfly fish, Congo tetras, african leaf fish, african knife fish, elephantnose fish... basically the congo biotope but without the bichirs to screw everything up.
Pros: Cool, active on all levels.
Cons: Congo tetras eat plants (any other options?) Apart from that, I like it, but I was thinking about moving away from the african biotope idea.

Well, suggest what you like. "Monsters" that will live their life in 150 gallons are ok, just not bichirs.

ColeFishing

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 5, 2012
Ohio
I love the second option but maybe replace the congo tetras with something that won't eat plants. it sounds like a really fun tank. iv owned elephant fish and butterfly fish and both were super cool. just go with a couple of the butterfly fish. like 4 or so. it sounds really cool. is the tank setup yet?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store