150 gallon top brace?

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
So I've found a really good deal on a 150 gallon tank. Only problem with it is the top brace is broken and gone. How important is it to have that brace on that size tank and how would I go about repairing it? Thanks in advance!

windsor

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2015
sheffield UK
So I've found a really good deal on a 150 gallon tank. Only problem with it is the top brace is broken and gone. How important is it to have that brace on that size tank and how would I go about repairing it? Thanks in advance!
If it was braced when it was originally made then it's necessary for the tank's safety. Rather than repair, it would be advisable to remove it completely and fit a replacement one of the same thickness, not a difficult job to do.

Itainteasy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2015
Definitely necessary. The brace on my 120 snapped but was still in place. Very noticible bowing in the front (scary noticible). Since my plastic brace was still there I used thick aluminum stock and attached it to the old brace front to back. Worked like a charm and only had to empty out about 50% percent of the water to do so.

I also bent the aluminum on the front and back for extra reassurance, I'm positive it's safer than the original plastic brace.

smitty03281964

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
May 5, 2010
Yeadon, Pennsylvania USA
It is something you want but I knew a guy who for years had his tank without the brace with no problems. Also my man Tommy brace around the bottom of the tank cracked and the crazy thing when we were at the convention the Marineland rep said that would not cause the tank to leak. He has had the tank 4 years like that now.

Itainteasy

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2015
I wouldnt risk it. Unless u want 150 gallons of fish water flowing through your house.

Like I said when mine snapped the bow was scary noticible.

Buphy

Dovii
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2015
Texas
Ya, I'm thinking of leaving it as is and building a top that will also act as a brace. Any recommendations for that?

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
the older tanks were made with no bracing. If the aquarium did have a center brace then it's probably made with slightly thinner glass so the brace is needed. I love Marineland aquariums, they build their tanks with thick enough glass and encorporate a center top and bottom brace. Bigger aquariums they add a second one

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store