16 yo 3ft+ African lungfish

bluehand

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Yorktown Indiana
Ok, so as much as I hate to, I think it may be time to part with my African lungfish. I am about to go through a major system setup restructure and I have learned in the 16 years that I have owned this fish, it is impossible for it to have tankmates besides feeder fish. My question is this. Would anyone be interested in purchasing it and/or what would it be worth? Currently it is roughy 36" - 38" ....I have upgraded tank sizes several times hoping that would help but with no luck. Any suggestions or ideas or interest? I still absolutely love this fish but 325 gallons of tank with one fish is getting a bit old

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Thank you for your post. I moved it to the correct forum - "Knifefish and Lungfish". You weren't rudely shut down but quite politely IMhumO. You posted both your posts in completely wrong forums - MFK store and MFK Marketplace.

Congrats on keeping this fish for 16 years, it is a rare and mighty accomplishment!

We used to have a 42 inch west african lungfish in a 240 gal with some tank mates without problems. Perhaps not long enough?

Its value is what someone is willing to pay for it. Off the ceiling, I'd ask $500? for starters? Or better yet, if you care so much about your lungfish, I'd recommend taking it to the Ohio Fish Rescue or finding the best possible peer and tank for it and giving it for free to that peer to make sure it is taken good care of.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
OFR is pretty stacked on lungs atm… they do further rehome fish to zoos and other places tho. I have an aethiopicus around the same size and same deal. No “real” tank mates survive. I keep a school of 16 giant danios with it in a 450 8’x3’ footprint. At $1.99-2.99 a pop theres not much lost if they are eaten. Im going on 3 yrs with no casualties. There fast enough to stay away. Before this lung i kept WAL in similiar fashion. Small barbs and tetras did fine and were left off the menu. Anything larger bottom to mid level was cookie cuttered or chomped in half as im sure uve seen over the yrs with urs.

bluehand

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2010
Yorktown Indiana
OFR is pretty stacked on lungs atm… they do further rehome fish to zoos and other places tho. I have an aethiopicus around the same size and same deal. No “real” tank mates survive. I keep a school of 16 giant danios with it in a 450 8’x3’ footprint. At $1.99-2.99 a pop theres not much lost if they are eaten. Im going on 3 yrs with no casualties. There fast enough to stay away. Before this lung i kept WAL in similiar fashion. Small barbs and tetras did fine and were left off the menu. Anything larger bottom to mid level was cookie cuttered or chomped in half as im sure uve seen over the yrs with urs.
Absolutely! It was no doubt an expensive learning experience for me the first couple years. I experimented with different tank mates but with the first kill being my fire eel, I started experimenting with much cheaper tankmates! Tanks on the other hand lol...
I am currently on my 4th tank upgrade for him, 75 at first, then a 125, then a 200, and now the 325 7' x 3' footprint it dominates now. Needless to say I have a ton of money wrapped up in that fish!

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
In our thread on lungfish there are videos on our 42inch WAL which we kept successfully with tank mates - you can look at them, I don't remember what the tank mates were exactly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store