1600 gal Plywood Build Plus Multiple Tank Basement Setup

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
And so quiet down there! Nice basement, i have bin to a few aqua parks, but they never have that much south american tanks.. Lovely! (btw, those discus does not fitt in, you should go wild:) )

Gumby79

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2006
Calgary
Thanks everyone, I am just lucky that I have such a understanding fincee that loves fish as much as I do and put up with the mess for a year building it.

WOW!!! This tread and build have really come out of know where an is Just amazing all round.

I would like to know the dimensions of the tank and how and with what you sealed the tank.

What thickness of ply? I also noticed you used pieces of wooden angle in between the seams of the floor and walls to form fillet joints.

I have thought about using this technique, did you use nails or screws to attach the wooden fillets?
Well the big tank is 11',5" long by 6' wide and 4' deep. I use Blue max to seal the wood and the reasonI angled the inside corners was due to the blue max has a peel and stick seem tape and wanted rounder corner cause I thought it would be easyer to blend and round out the corner, to make it look nicer. I just nailed them in with finishing nails. All the wood was sprayed with an expoy sealer before I applied the blue max, my thought were kind of like a secondary barrier if the blue max were to fail some how. I probably would not go this route again, the blue max is a good product but I would recomnd it more for sealing up over concrete opposed to sealing over plywood. The discus tank that also built 6 years ago, I did in epoxy resin and that tank it just feels stronger and more forgiving if i was to drop a rock in it or scratch it some how, were the blue max did tare once moving those trees in and I had a lengthy setback repairing it. Now I did save a lot of money going the blue max route vs the epoxy, epoxy would have been more that double the cost to go that way. I am sure time will tell if saving some bucks was ok but the next one i build just for the piece of mind I will go epoxy.
The thickness of plywood was a 3/8 layer ontop of 3/4 plywood and all my framing was 12" center 2"x6"

Gumby79

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2006
Calgary
And so quiet down there! Nice basement, i have bin to a few aqua parks, but they never have that much south american tanks.. Lovely! (btw, those discus does not fitt in, you should go wild:) )
thank you, I love wild discus as well but unfort my fincee does not and to get away with building such a project I had to bend a little to get a little, if you know what i mean lol

Ramesh

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2008
Earth
Thanks everyone, I am just lucky that I have such a understanding fincee that loves fish as much as I do and put up with the mess for a year building it.

Well the big tank is 11',5" long by 6' wide and 4' deep. I use Blue max to seal the wood and the reasonI angled the inside corners was due to the blue max has a peel and stick seem tape and wanted rounder corner cause I thought it would be easyer to blend and round out the corner, to make it look nicer. I just nailed them in with finishing nails. All the wood was sprayed with an expoy sealer before I applied the blue max, my thought were kind of like a secondary barrier if the blue max were to fail some how. I probably would not go this route again, the blue max is a good product but I would recomnd it more for sealing up over concrete opposed to sealing over plywood. The discus tank that also built 6 years ago, I did in epoxy resin and that tank it just feels stronger and more forgiving if i was to drop a rock in it or scratch it some how, were the blue max did tare once moving those trees in and I had a lengthy setback repairing it. Now I did save a lot of money going the blue max route vs the epoxy, epoxy would have been more that double the cost to go that way. I am sure time will tell if saving some bucks was ok but the next one i build just for the piece of mind I will go epoxy.
The thickness of plywood was a 3/8 layer ontop of 3/4 plywood and all my framing was 12" center 2"x6"
OK, Ames' Blue Max rubber coating an epoxy sealer, that interesting and no fiberglass cloth on the seams.
What brand of epoxy did you use?
To seal your windows did you silicone to the blue max or the epoxy?

Tor-Eriik

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2010
Norway
thank you, I love wild discus as well but unfort my fincee does not and to get away with building such a project I had to bend a little to get a little, if you know what i mean lol
hehe! I can see that one :) Looks very good either way! clean, no noice, just enjoyable! What type of fb do you run? Is there a main filter system that takes all the tank?

Gumby79

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2006
Calgary
OK, Ames' Blue Max rubber coating an epoxy sealer, that interesting and no fiberglass cloth on the seams.
What brand of epoxy did you use?
To seal your windows did you silicone to the blue max or the epoxy?
The epoxy I used was System Three's Cold Cure and I did all the window area with that and with in those areas as well I did use fiberglass cloth. Only the flats of the tank I did not bother only cause I did stager my plywood layers and did not not want to build up those areas at the joints cause I did use the blue max peel and stick on all the joints.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store