180 gallon filtration setup

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
jvc66 jvc66 this is what inwas talking about.
1st pic showes the water level with the pump running (black line)
View attachment 1229620

This is what the pumps off and the water back flowed through the return pipe. Would be much higher and flood the sump if not for the siphon break drilled at the return line in the tank.
View attachment 1229619

Now with thise two lines i know the level to refill the sump when the system is off (during water change) of toping it off while the system is on.

When its off i fill to the blue line knowing that any higher i am at risk for flooding.

While its running and i just want to top it off (adding more water) i fill to the black line knowing if i fill any higher i am again at risk for flooding when i turn the system off.

View attachment 1229623

View attachment 1229621

You just have to play around with it once you set everything up.

These marks are from when i first set it up. Testing various levels until inwas comfortable with the off and running level.
View attachment 1229624

You could use tape instead of a marker...i dodnt care what it looked like inder the hood lol. Sump is 30 gal and display tank is 150 so not allot of room for error

Is your return just pvc pipe that you drilled the siphon break in? I was thinking of using one of those flexible spray nozzles attached to a bulkhead so how would that work without a break

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Is your return just pvc pipe that you drilled the siphon break in? I was thinking of using one of those flexible spray nozzles attached to a bulkhead so how would that work without a break
Also I do have a question for you J jaws7777 . I know in your build, jcs, and ragins that you all had your drains connected to a "balance beam" and Teed together and then split to go into seperate filter socks. Why did you choose to connect them instead of have them just drain straight into the filter socks without the connection? Doesnt the horizontal run cause air to become trapped within the pipes?

Ive watched the video and read the links you sent like five times so I am just trying to understand how that connection works cause its driving me nuts lol

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Yeah these are just pvc rin into the tank with 90° elbows. Do you mean loc line ?

I cant get pics to download for some reason but take a look at.my thread. Thos black returns are loc lines. Im gonna drill a hole somewhere on them thats close to or right at the surface water level and also install true union check valves further down the return line into the sump

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Also I do have a question for you J jaws7777 . I know in your build, jcs, and ragins that you all had your drains connected to a "balance beam" and Teed together and then split to go into seperate filter socks. Why did you choose to connect them instead of have them just drain straight into the filter socks without the connection? Doesnt the horizontal run cause air to become trapped within the pipes?

Ive watched the video and read the links you sent like five times so I am just trying to understand how that connection works cause its driving me nuts lol
Can you download one of the pics, repost it here and describe what you mean by balance beam ?

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Can you download one of the pics, repost it here and describe what you mean by balance beam ?
Missed the loc line before that you were talking about.

And below is what I am talking about. In one of the links that you posted it mentioned something about a balance beam which was connecting the drains together into one. Just wondering what the advantage of combing both drains would be then to have two independent ones.

Image.jpg

This is the link that you sent http://gmacreef.com/herbie-dual-overflows/

Option 2: Joining the two overflows so they act as one
If the two overflows can be connected with a “Tunnel” of sorts, then they will act as one overflow with two weirs. This is commonly known as a Balance Pipe. A pipe that spans behind the tank, passing through a bulkhead at the rear of each overflow. It could also be done inside the tank, but wouldn’t look very good unless covered with sand.

You will want the bulkheads for a Balance Pipe lower in the overflow so they are always submerged (below the siphon intake). Larger diameter pipe will allow water to equalize between the two overflows quickly. Strainers on each bulkhead opening will ensure that nothing gets in the pipe.

This setup allows for 2 pipes to be used as a typical siphon / emergency combo. The third pipe is used as the primary emergency and the fourth pipe can be used either as a secondary dry emergency, or as a return output running over the overflow wall into the tank.

That was what I thought it was

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
Missed the loc line before that you were talking about.

And below is what I am talking about. In one of the links that you posted it mentioned something about a balance beam which was connecting the drains together into one. Just wondering what the advantage of combing both drains would be then to have two independent ones.

View attachment 1229644

This is the link that you sent http://gmacreef.com/herbie-dual-overflows/

Option 2: Joining the two overflows so they act as one
If the two overflows can be connected with a “Tunnel” of sorts, then they will act as one overflow with two weirs. This is commonly known as a Balance Pipe. A pipe that spans behind the tank, passing through a bulkhead at the rear of each overflow. It could also be done inside the tank, but wouldn’t look very good unless covered with sand.

You will want the bulkheads for a Balance Pipe lower in the overflow so they are always submerged (below the siphon intake). Larger diameter pipe will allow water to equalize between the two overflows quickly. Strainers on each bulkhead opening will ensure that nothing gets in the pipe.

This setup allows for 2 pipes to be used as a typical siphon / emergency combo. The third pipe is used as the primary emergency and the fourth pipe can be used either as a secondary dry emergency, or as a return output running over the overflow wall into the tank.

That was what I thought it was
Ok i get it. Whats in the pick you posted isnt what they are talking about in the gmac article. The pipes in the pics are part of the siphon drains. Jc posted earlier in the build that trying to dial in two gate valves was a p.i.t.a so he tee'd the 1.5 inch siphon drains that were coming out of each overflow into one gate then back out to seperate drains seperate socks = more mech.

Ragin cajin took it one step further by putting tree's at the end of the siphon drains now instead of 2 filter socks he double his mech by utilizing 4.

That make sense ? Mahbe im not explaining it right lol Again everything im saying is in theory and from what i inderstand of their builds.

As far as joining both overflows i couldnt comment but im sure its possible.

Heres a vid of ragins set up. ragin_cajun ragin_cajun hope you dont mind me posting it. This is what made it all just click fro me. Great explanation

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Ok i get it. Whats in the pick you posted isnt what they are talking about in the gmac article. The pipes in the pics are part of the siphon drains. Jc posted earlier in the build that trying to dial in two gate valves was a p.i.t.a so he tee'd the 1.5 inch siphon drains that were coming out of each overflow into one gate then back out to seperate drains seperate socks = more mech.

Ragin cajin took it one step further by putting tree's at the end of the siphon drains now instead of 2 filter socks he double his mech by utilizing 4.

That make sense ? Mahbe im not explaining it right lol Again everything im saying is in theory and from what i inderstand of their builds.

As far as joining both overflows i couldnt comment but im sure its possible.

Heres a vid of ragins set up. ragin_cajun ragin_cajun hope you dont mind me posting it. This is what made it all just click fro me. Great explanation

ill listen to the video when I get out of work tonight. But that makes more sense now that you explained it. Ill have to go back and check if he mentioned sizes but If I had two siphon drains that are 1.5" they would Tee them off into a larger pipe for the combined waterflow. So in turn I would only need one gate valve after the Tee to adjust the water flow into the overflow?

And your doing a good job teaching me up lol learned alot in the last few days before having to take the big leap

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store