180 gallon planted aquarium.

Scruffy4

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2020
Canada
a little update. I pulled a lot of the jungle val, it was spreading like wild fire but the tips of the leaves(about 50%) were rotting . I’m thinking my lights may be a bit to high due to the fact that the plant seemed to be growing more horizontal than vertical. Also the shorter leaves seemed to be much healthier. I moved around a few crypts and swords and got rid of the bacopa completely. Once it starts to fill back in I’ll make some decisions to see if I’m happy. If not I’ve been leaning towards maybe some med-high light plants with the possibility of co2. The dwarf sag seems to be taking its time but slowly I notice one popping up here and there. Not growing tall to just yet which is great. Any suggestions/opinions always welcome ?

FC56F5FC-F09D-4BB9-B5DF-254FD6859BBE.jpeg

DA1B371F-B771-4228-8DF1-0494E0C418A7.jpeg

748D2DC7-B875-4647-BD7F-471DAFD9E495.jpeg

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Looks good. I like the contrasting colors. One suggestion would be that once the plants have become more established gengly tug on them to raise just the top of the root ball above the surface of the substrate.

Reactions: Scruffy4 and deeda

Potato Patatto

Aimara
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2020
Looking really good! If it’s any consolation I always have trouble with leaves dying when I add new plants, I have to do a lot of trimming and do lose up 30-40% depending on the plant. After a month or so and adding flourish tabs my troubles go away!

Reactions: Scruffy4

Scruffy4

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2020
Canada
Looks good. I like the contrasting colors. One suggestion would be that once the plants have become more established gengly tug on them to raise just the top of the root ball above the surface of the substrate.
I will definitely raise them up a bit. I had struggled keeping a few down so I just figured I’d let the roots grow a bit.

Looking really good! If it’s any consolation I always have trouble with leaves dying when I add new plants, I have to do a lot of trimming and do lose up 30-40% depending on the plant. After a month or so and adding flourish tabs my troubles go away!
I’m pretty much in the exact same boat. I’m using the flourish tabs, they seem to only last about a month and a half. Still kinda trail and error and this point for me.

Have you ever thought about adding hornwort?
I have seen them at my lfs and I’m really not a fan of the shape/look. Just not for me, now that I think of it I even avoided the fake versions like that as well lol.

Jim bean 20055

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 30, 2020
I recently ordered some hornwort because it supposedly grows extremely fast after it gets established. I also bought it cause it oxygenates the water really well

Scruffy4

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2020
Canada
I recently ordered some hornwort because it supposedly grows extremely fast after it gets established. I also bought it cause it oxygenates the water really well
I did not know that. For surface agitation/oxygen I have one side of the fx6 outlet pointed up and on the opposite side of the tank have my fluval 306 outlet just below the surface . I use to have the koralia pointed at the surface but I recently switched it up to disturb the bottom(substrate) a little more to move around debris and limit the dead spots I don’t want. I don’t think I want to many back ground plants. My end goal is to have a nice carpet surrounding the driftwood flowing into the crypts/swords with the jungle val towering behind. I have a fealing I’m not going to achieve what I want with the dwarf sagg.

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
One of my all time favourite plants has always been the different bucephalandra sp. so many colors to choose from although can be a bit finicky to get growing and are extremely slow growing overall...

However, the reward you get from healthy buce plants can be loads of different colors options in the tank depending on type you get including blues, purples, reds and greens...

Scruffy4

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 11, 2020
Canada
One of my all time favourite plants has always been the different bucephalandra sp. so many colors to choose from although can be a bit finicky to get growing and are extremely slow growing overall...

However, the reward you get from healthy buce plants can be loads of different colors options in the tank depending on type you get including blues, purples, reds and greens...

I just did a search... the colours look amazing and I really like the shape/profile of the plant. Hopefully I’ll be able to source some locally. Thanks Fat Homer Fat Homer

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store