1800 gallon build and my new 180

gnorris23

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2013
florida
Ha , Its something I've always wanted to do and since I now own a house there is no reason for me not to . I'll be finishing the plumbing on the 180 tonight and will be uploading those pics later . I work late so most of my work will be late at nights . Also I am getting bonused in feb and will have much more money to spend on this project at that point . So most of my progress will be taking place next month .

gnorris23

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2013
florida
accidentally uploaded the same pic twice .. i'll blame it on the scotch ... anyway i'm going to tractor supply tomorrow to see about getting a rubbermaid stock tank for the sump .

gnorris23

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2013
florida
So , After I got all the water running through this thing , I saw a puddle of water next to the plug . I tightened the seal and water was still dripping . After taking it apart I found that it had a bad gasket . So I will be making a trip to lowes tomorrow and this should be a quick and easy fix . Also I bought a miter saw stand today for my hitachi miter saw . This should make things much quicker and easier for the 1800 build . When I built the 180 stand I just butted blocks up to measure my cuts and it wasted a lot of my time . Also I will be using the KREG jig system on this build for the tank and stand. If you look at the 180 stand you will see the pocket holes on all the joints . The stand could not be any sturdier .

gnorris23

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2013
florida
So. I can't get the stock tank to stop leaking. I replaced the plug. Still leaked I replaced the stocktank with a 150 gallon tank. Still leaks. I bought a bulkhead. Still leaks. I'm about to say screw it and silicone the damn thing

KAWAMIKIE

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2010
New Jersey
Use silicone on the drain plug and around the threads of the bulkhead and it should stop the leak.
It's a very common problem for the bulked to leak on the stock tank. On other forums I read guys suggest to replace the one that comes with the tank with a better quality bulkhead fitting. I found mine to be leaking out of the threads not from the gasket. I had put a bunch of teflon tape on the plug and tightened it until I couldn't turn it anymore and it still leaked, but had it down to just a drip. It stopped after a few days on its own.

gnorris23

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2013
florida
I siliconed the hell out of it last night so tonight ill test it out. Once I get this fixed I'm going to start putting together the biological filtration

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store