19inch goonch catfish

LiamIrons

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2012
Nottingham,Uk
Bagarius next to my sorubim lima of the same size.
[video=youtube;4KWAWrkW5MM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4KWAWrkW5MM[/video]

Estarego8

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
New Jersey
Yup, Bagarius rutilus. Biggest one on the site at that. ;)
I'm challenging you on the Rutilus ID on this one. I am not seeing it in the pictures provided. It could be due to the images being viewed on my phone. I'll confirm shortyly

Sent from my SCH-I545 using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
I'm challenging you on the Rutilus ID on this one. I am not seeing it in the pictures provided. It could be due to the images being viewed on my phone. I'll confirm shortyly

C'mon now hoss. ;) Look at this guy and tell me what else you think it could be! :p

These are the best pictures i could take of the head
[pics]
I think that other guy is very likely LLG.

Estarego8

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
New Jersey
C'mon now hoss. ;) Look at this guy and tell me what else you think it could be! :p

I think that other guy is very likely LLG.
The picture in this quote looks to be a LLG and I think the smaller one is as well. He looks strikingly like my drogon and less sausage like than any of the Rutilus I have housed. Even the larger Rutilus maintain that rounder body structure. I am not seeing it in the larger fish (the one in the picture).

Chicxulub

Hand of the King
Administrator
Aug 29, 2009
I crash at the K-Pg
The picture in this quote looks to be a LLG and I think the smaller one is as well. He looks strikingly like my drogon and less sausage like than any of the Rutilus I have housed. Even the larger Rutilus maintain that rounder body structure. I am not seeing it in the larger fish (the one in the picture).

Head structure. I know you've kept a bunch of rutilus, but this guy is way bigger than anything we've seen at this point in the hobby before.

The reasons I feel that this is rutilus:

1- Ventral mouth. A LLG has a subterminal mouth.

2- Tubercles. LLG have noticeable tubercles on the side of the head. Rutilus have the tubercles, but they're not very visible. This fish has the barely visible tubercles.

3- Oval eye. Rutilus and this fish has the oval eye, LLG is round.

4- Dorsal fin curved back. HLG and LLG both tend to turn up.​

This fish still has the rounded body shape, it's just clearly not as well fed as your fish were. ;) For comparison's sake, I'll post this picture of the B. rutilus holotype that was provided to me by Dr. Ng. Keep in mind that this fish has stained coloration from the preservative had has the nose snubbed from being in the jar.

Bagarius rutilus.jpg

Bagarius rutilus.jpg

Estarego8

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2011
New Jersey
Head structure. I know you've kept a bunch of rutilus, but this guy is way bigger than anything we've seen at this point in the hobby before.

The reasons I feel that this is rutilus:

1- Ventral mouth. A LLG has a subterminal mouth.

2- Tubercles. LLG have noticeable tubercles on the side of the head. Rutilus have the tubercles, but they're not very visible. This fish has the barely visible tubercles.

3- Oval eye. Rutilus and this fish has the oval eye, LLG is round.

4- Dorsal fin curved back. HLG and LLG both tend to turn up.​

This fish still has the rounded body shape, it's just clearly not as well fed as your fish were. ;) For comparison's sake, I'll post this picture of the B. rutilus holotype that was provided to me by Dr. Ng. Keep in mind that this fish has stained coloration from the preservative had has the nose snubbed from being in the jar.

View attachment 973030
The eyes are a give away to be honest I didnt look at them hahaha just saw the heavy body. It is just amazing how similar these guys are adultwise.
You are forcing me to take drogon out of his tank for photos........

PS. Tried to take drogon out for pictures...He was grumpy and bit my finger stabbed me with his fins and managed to get himself onto the floor before I could put him in photo tank. Needless to say I put him back on his tank and he mocked me. No more taking him out until his upgrade!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store