Penguin Lover
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2004
Louisiana
primitivefishes.com
Druthlen;4927870; said:
*Smacks face*

Googled cycling. Got it.

Ok Ill keep the Gars in the cooler. The roseys Ill use to cycle the pond cuz well I dont care if they all die.

Thanks guys. Sorry for the ignorance.

In my defence I did spent alot of time reading Gar forums. Never once was mentioned gut loading or cycling.

Edit: I even read here that Gars were a just add water fish....well I did just that and that seems to be incorrect.
it's ok as we are all here to learn and share experiences. that being said, responses to red highlights:

1- gut loading and cycling are basic principles that you should likely find on the non-advanced subforums here. the gar subforum delves deeper into the details of keeping gars specifically, and leaves most of the beginning info to basic fish husbandry to the other subforums. you should check those out beforehand.

2 - not sure where it says here that gars are a "just add water fish". they can survive in a tub of water...but not indefinitely (the above quoted statement is not meant to be taken literally, and i'm not sure where it was found on this forum or who said it). YOY gars are even more sensitive.

again, we are all here to learn - but this whole scenario boils down to the basic principle of researching basic predatory fish husbandry methods before jumping in with the fish. good luck, and i'm sure we can help you keep rolling--
--solomon

Madding

The Ninth Holostei
MFK Member
May 11, 2009
New York
No fish are 'just add water' fish... not really, anyways.

Also, you said you're going to keep the gars in a cooler? Will it be maintained like an aquarium?

No offense intended at all - as I respect you taking great strides to learn more which you are doing - but a big pond for gars may not have been wise if you don't know anything about keeping fish.

Druthlen

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 25, 2011
Spring, TX
No offense taken. Its frustrating that I did a ton of research and came up short handed. As to how I was gonna treat the cooler. Well they dont need a air stone. I was gonna do 25% water change daily but tap water is out of the question. My water comes out of the tap Hard as a brick and very basic pH 9+. My LFS offers Reverse Osmosis water for 50 cents a gallon. The guy told me that I could use the 25 cents a gallon machines at the grocery store. Sounds good to me. Though I am not buying 538 gallons for the pond though. He told me to add vinager and Plants. I got a list here that I need to hunt down and get. I also bought 20 guppies, 40 ghost shrimp, 50 roseys. he claims the shrimp will help with the pH/hardness a tiny bit, breaking down organic matter or what have you. Oh and feeding the baby guppies.

When the shrimp break down leaves it releases acid... My research comfirms this. Dont know though from experience.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
Druthlen;4927870; said:
*Smacks face*

Googled cycling. Got it.

Ok Ill keep the Gars in the cooler. The roseys Ill use to cycle the pond cuz well I dont care if they all die.

Thanks guys. Sorry for the ignorance.

In my defence I did spent alot of time reading Gar forums. Never once was mentioned gut loading or cycling.

Edit: I even read here that Gars were a just add water fish....well I did just that and that seems to be incorrect.
it's alright really, you're doing better than me when i first started out already:chillpill::ROFL:

pharmaecopia

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Ontario, Canada
Druthlen;4928462; said:
No offense taken. Its frustrating that I did a ton of research and came up short handed. As to how I was gonna treat the cooler. Well they dont need a air stone. I was gonna do 25% water change daily but tap water is out of the question. My water comes out of the tap Hard as a brick and very basic pH 9+. My LFS offers Reverse Osmosis water for 50 cents a gallon. The guy told me that I could use the 25 cents a gallon machines at the grocery store. Sounds good to me. Though I am not buying 538 gallons for the pond though. He told me to add vinager and Plants. I got a list here that I need to hunt down and get. I also bought 20 guppies, 40 ghost shrimp, 50 roseys. he claims the shrimp will help with the pH/hardness a tiny bit, breaking down organic matter or what have you. Oh and feeding the baby guppies.

When the shrimp break down leaves it releases acid... My research comfirms this. Dont know though from experience.
I wouldn't worry about the hard water if I were you. I have hard water myself and the gars seem unaffected by it. My current pond has a semi permanent layer of hard water build up on all surfaces within it. I have had filter sponges that crackled when taken out from hard water build up as well. Consistency is what you should aim for.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store