Not open for further replies.

BarroomHero

Gambusia
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2008
Las Vegas
Overmind1632;2574948; said:
I dont understand how 75 gallons is a min

I've kept an oscar, silver arowada, and a chichid in a 55 gallon happily for years
Did you ever test the water parameters of this tank that supposedly housed these fish for years? And even if the water quality was ok a silver arowana gets waaaayyy too big for a 40gal.

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
2 oscars in a 40g for life won't work...the hole-in-the headed, bent backed examples of similar husbandry are traded into LFS every day.

Growing out a couple of 2" oscars in a 40g will work for a little while - maybe until they're 6" or so. Then you'll need to upgrade or get rid of them.

As with any large fish, you'll need to do lots of water changes. I'd recommend 50% weekly...or better yet 30% twice weekly.

cris

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
canada
TwistedPenguin;2575320; said:
It's a roll of the dice as to whether ANY 2 Oscars will get along as adults no matter how big (in your case 'small') the tank is. That said-it's not good fishkeeping to put even one 12-15" fish in a 40 gal tank, much less 2. 60-75 g worth of water per Oscar, minimum. Or don't get an Oscar. If you want a fish that'll be able to live in a 40 g for life then start researching fish that max out at 5-6".
:iagree:

Tom500

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 14, 2008
Halifax, UK!!!
No get a 150G and take it from there, there are some very cheap second hand tanks of that size arround so get one and go monster!

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Overmind1632;2574948; said:
I dont understand how 75 gallons is a min

I've kept an oscar, silver arowada, and a chichid in a 55 gallon happily for years

:wall:

junglej

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2007
appleton,wi
i also agree that a 40 is way too small. i've seen 2 adults in a 55g and they looked extremely cramped and had nowhere to go, i also agree that for 2 adults a 75 would be the absolute minimum. Also why keep them in a minimally sized tank, they are living creatures who deserve much more than that. maybe you would be better off with a smaller fish who demand less.

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
I understand there are the extremests... some say Oscars need 6' 180 gal tanks... others say they'll be fine in a 3' tank...

Neither extreme is correct and the truth lies inthe balance... which is commonly the right answer in life...

But everyone says the people they do not agree with are the extremests. It's an easy way to discredit someone without actually giving credit to yourself.

It's a very well accepted fact that in healthy conditions Oscars grow an inch per month. Not every Oscar will grow at this rate and a couple may even grow faster. This is because every individual fish is an individual, which is also a very well known fact.

So if you buy a 3" Oscar, in 4 months you should have a 7" Oscar. Although this is only a little over double in length, the 7" Oscar will be several times larger than a 3" Oscar by mass. Also as the fish matures it's aggression matures.

For those who lack the personal experience with Oscars/Cichlids to understand the big picture of whats going to happen, I highly suggest you make conservative decisions to allow yourself to error on the side of safety, as opposed to unnecessarily punishing a fish for your mistake.

I've raised Oscars in a 300 galand I can say from first hand experience it made a big difference in the fish's attitude/behavior. But I do not fanatically state they "need" such large environments. I currently have 2 Full adult Oscars, each is in a (different) 75 gal with a couple smaller tankmates. Huge tanks are great, but not "needed". But this is no excuse to cram them in too small of a space either, as they do "need" room.

Again... the truth lies in the balance...

Passionate 4 pikes

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 9, 2008
Manaus, Brazil
BadFishPa;2575110; said:
Fish dont double in size overnite to spite the Magical Growth Rate BS tossed at ya. Just keep an eye on there water quality,and when they get too big buy a bigger Aquarium. You will have atleast a year, Or More, to decide..I have tiny Oscars in a large tank i was told i need and am waiting for this monster to appear in a few months..Straight up BS by Ego Maniacs its why people stop coming to MFK
Really? i think mfk is doing quite well actually lol 44000 members:WHOA:
for two oscar you will need a larger tank eventually they will look much better and will love the extra space.
i am sorry but keeping an oscar and arowana and another cichlid in a 55 gallon tank does nothing but prove you dont care much that your fish get the life they deserve. people can keep bettas in cups, so what it merely proves that another fish suffers. please look into getting smaller fish or a bigger tank. if you arent going to listen to anybody and you know everything about fish then dont even ask.

jgentry

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2008
Gallatin, TN
I don't think anyones suggestions are going to matter much seeing as the OP thinks that an oscar and silver aro do great in a 55g! Seriously dude, as silver aro in a 55g for several years? In the span of several years the silver aro would be well over 2ft and if not closer to 3 ft and would not even be able to turn around.

Think of it like this, a silver aro in a 55g is like me sticking you in an 8ft by 2.5 room for your life. Don't worry, I'll swing by and give you food once a day and clean your living space every week or so, but you can't leave that room. Does that sound cool with you? :irked:

Status
Not open for further replies.
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store