20 gallon long question

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
I place my osmocote+ root tabs every 6" in all of my planted tanks this way I know where ever I place a plant in the tank it has access to nutrients... Then around heavy root feeding plants like swords, crypts, and vals I usually place 3-4 tabs 1"-2" away from the plant this way they have access nutrients near them.

Reactions: convict360

milkman407

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jul 15, 2006
in a house
I place my osmocote+ root tabs every 6" in all of my planted tanks this way I know where ever I place a plant in the tank it has access to nutrients... Then around heavy root feeding plants like swords, crypts, and vals I usually place 3-4 tabs 1"-2" away from the plant this way they have access nutrients near them.
awesome information, you've been a "Huge" help. This fixture was given to me and I'm not very experienced when it comes to this type of lighting. I do appreciate all the wonderful information!

xxUnRaTeDxxRkOxx

Candiru
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2011
Denver, CO.
Yeah I've used T5HO fixtures for years, and when it comes to a planted tank T5HO's are the only lighting I'll use. I've had LED fixtures on a planted tank in the past with mild success, but with T5HO fixtures I've always had the best results on a planted tank. I've also had good success with a 48" Coralife Freshwater Deluxe 4x65w power compact fixture, my first 2 planted tanks I set up both tanks had really good and steady growth with the power compacts.

But with T5HO fixtures there are so many bulbs to choose from that makes them the cream of the crop for planted tanks!!! I started out using 6500k and 6700k bulbs when I got into planted tanks, but once I finally understood the requirements of live aquatic plants, and researching chlorophyll and the wavelength peaks associated with chlorophyll. That's when I really started using T5HO light fixtures for my planted tanks.

I learned that plants have 2 chlorophyll stages, and that each stage peaks at different wavelengths; I'll show you this picture of what I'm talking about....

In the past I always thought that actinic lighting was for saltwater only, but after understanding chlorophyll peaks I now know that actinic lighting plays a roll in plant growth as well. So now on my 30 gallon planted tank I run a T5HO dual bulb fixture with a 6500k bulb, and a WavePoint Ultra Growth Wave bulb. Where as on bigger tanks like my 45 gallon long (48"x12"x19") when I had it set up as a planted tank I was using a T5HO quad fixture with the following bulb from front to back.

420nm actinic
WavePoint Ultra Growth Wave
12,000k white 460nm actinic

and had the following lighting schedule.

8am 2 front bulbs turn on
10am 2 rear bulbs turn on
2pm 2 front bulbs shut off
4pm 2 rear bulbs shut off

This would give me a 4 high light period simulating 12 noon day light, and by doing it my plants had amazing growth and were lush and healthy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store