200 gal predatory stocking ideas

Rourkus

Feeder Fish
Sep 2, 2021
G'day

So I'm considering buying a 200 gallon tank for stocking primarily a few large cichlids or possibly other predatory fish. I plan on raising them from as young as i can find them all the way to adulthood in this tank.

I've read read Oscars have the most personality so I'm hoping for a stocking scheme that allows for one of them. If there are other fish with similar personality/intelligence please let me know and perhaps the oscar will be substituted for something else.

Considered tank mates:
Jack dempsy
Jaguar
Texas
Green terror
Salvini
Severum
Bichirs

Any idea how many of these can be put together?
Which ones will work together?
What's a relatively safe combination?
A risky combination?
A combination that definitely won't work and will certainly end in a bloodbath?

Feel free to suggest other fish as well. My heart isn't fully set on any particular combination, but as mentioned earlier about the oscar, i would like at least one fish that feels somewhat personable.

Any input is appreciated. Thank you.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
like at least one fish that feels somewhat personable
Welcome aboard

A Oscar and non cichlid tankmates would be the best option. The Bichir may work but it depends on the personality of the Oscar and if the Bichir will get enough food.

Reactions: ..puSkar..

Toby_H

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Oscar's are open water fish and most of the others mentioned are bottom dwelling. But in a 2' deep aquarium there's not a lot of difference in those 2 areas.

Jack dempsy - I've kept them with Oscar's many times. They're a good mix.
Jaguar - These generally don't play well with others and will often eliminate competition when possible.
Texas & Green terror - Males of either species have potential of being highly aggressive/territorial and effective at doing so. Females may work.
Salvini - In my experience they are a step up from Dempseys in aggression, but in the same category.
Severum - I've kept them with Oscar's several times. Good tankmates.
Bichirs - No personal experience.

A 200 Gallon tank is a big tank. The fish you are interested in are big fish. Don't get carried away with loading your big tank full of babies or you'll end up with a bunch of stressed out fish with torn up fins or worse, which is no fun for anyone.

robmcd

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jan 19, 2007
Laguna Beach
3 oscars, 1 pleco, and 5 silver dollars. Just my 10 cents.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
If you want Oscars, I would go with robmcd robmcd 's stock list, because it all depends on the personality of the O.

The Masked Shadow

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2020
Southern California (San Diego)
If you are sure you want cichlids, maybe Frontosa ould be nice. Get a nice group of 7 or 8, and a large Plec.

Reactions: Rourkus

..puSkar..

Dovii
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2020
If I had a tank that size . I'd stock it with a pair of golden jags . And maybe some scaping with fake plants and driftwood , biotope sorta thing.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
An Oscar, with a severum and jack dempsey, and a senegal bichir, is a stocking plan I had many years ago that worked in a smaller tank than this. Was a very nice mix, nobody too aggressive for the others. Of course with cichlids it's hit or miss, you could get a mean jack dempsey for example, but I think success is pretty likely with that list.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
One thing to consider, is what type of water comes from your tap, and water type water the fishes on the list prefer.
Oscars, severum , and the bichirs all prefer soft low pH water. Kind of a range between the two charts below.
0E590103-71C5-4997-A18E-8901047E7273_1_201_a.jpeg
58D5FF9B-7535-49F4-AEAA-3FFC11DC0A2B_1_201_a.jpeg
The Mexicans and Central Americans (JDs , salvini, managuensr, Texans,and this also includes the type rift lake water Frontosa have evolved to live in)
prefer a water type similar to the chart below
831F57A2-B5A0-4575-8C14-5F8384697AF5_1_201_a.jpeg
Note the differences in pH, hardness and conductivity.
You may also want to consider aggressive tendency's
Oscars and severum, are pussy cats compared to the aggression of most Central Americans, and although as juvie and young fish may not have problems for a year or 2, at maturity (around 3 years) even in that size tank, territoriality may cause serious problems.
This would also include Frontosa, which are equip to deal with Central American badgering.

Reactions: ..puSkar..
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store