2013 notables in the cichla forum

strollo22

Siamese Tiger
MFK Member
May 21, 2012
Datnoid Island
In all seriousness though- I've learned a lot about of Cichla in the past year thanks to you guys. I look forward to any actual "WC" bass that come in next year. Hopefully those certain aforementioned OG's decide to start posting again as this section is getting kind of dull lately.

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
Still no informative cichla thread
Very good point Ben.
What I saw in 2013 was how a big glass tank was put together. 3D back ground on the bottom of the tank, fake rock and tree were innovative. Filtration with no sump was shocking.
Ray guys are always working on filtration and UV so are we happy with what we got?
Did Hugh get his answer on HITH? Does anyone care? Bet he knows the answer and not sharing.
A lot of people including newbies got a chance to grow out small cichlas and was nice to see the outcome. Would of thought they would be a lot bigger by now. Were are the OG when you need them?
Like to see Craig's secret lab of cichlas. Heard he's got a couple of 1000g tanks. Talk is cheap.
As for me, my cichlas are all ready to breed but I do not have room to separate. I'm very busy at work and may have to travel. Plus, got a big 3 week vacation planned for Hawaii next summer. What to do?

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
Wish I could join you guys but I am afraid 150g is about as big as I can go.

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Ray guys are always working on filtration and UV so are we happy with what we got?
Got a big 3 week vacation planned for Hawaii next summer. What to do?
I tried to start a cichla oriented filtration thread in the cichla section but the mods moved it to set-up and filtration and wouldn't move it back....as far as filtration I feel like there's always room for improvement. What to do?......that's simple you invite me and show me around the big island ;)

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
I tried to start a cichla oriented filtration thread in the cichla section but the mods moved it to set-up and filtration and wouldn't move it back....as far as filtration I feel like there's always room for improvement. What to do?......that's simple you invite me and show me around the big island ;)
I think you need to be more specific on why you think a certain filter is unique for cichla.

Let me give an example, last week I fired up my old cichla filter for my trevallys. Notice my design features.

Stainless steel wire to hold 10 lbs tensile between the douglas fir side wall limiters. Stainless is the material of choice for corrosion prevention (salt water). Douglas fir for flexiblity in the event of an earthquake. PVC pipes are held in place with orange cord from my weed wacker. Grabs the pipe good and you guessed it....corrosion prevention. All this sits on a bassinmike stand (4 milk crate).
This filter will only work with xingus and trevallys because of all the above.

IMG_2015.JPG

IMG_2012.JPG

IMG_1993.JPG

IMG_1997.JPG

IMG_2000.JPG

IMG_2015.JPG

IMG_2012.JPG

IMG_1993.JPG

IMG_1997.JPG

IMG_2000.JPG

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
Baby orinos used to cost $10, and now they're $30. Wild fish actually used to be wild. 75% of baby cichla I see are some sort of hybrid.

Aside from the negatives, lots of headway was made. Pinima has become a staple, several batches of wild caught Kelberi made it stateside, and plenty of new faces in the cichla forum.

2013 was all Kelberi. What will 2014 be...orino?

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
Happy New Years guys. I feel that OG guys are hiding away or they are holding out on their secrets for raising cichlas. I would love to see more of the OG guys post in the cichla forum in 2014.

2013 was a great year for WC and CB kelberis. Kelberis were available from various collection points or proclaimed fancy names such ipatinga, rio doce, Bahia, rio Araguia, Tocantins, kelzul,kelrino, Cearra. I hope I didn't miss any. I remember the old days when I could not find kelberis at fish store.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store