206G Plywood Tank...Done - Part1

AttackFish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2007
Torrance
Thats way awesome.
I want to build a pond or tank this summer if its in the budget.
Awesome build.

Buckdog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. - Inland
Before we lay up the outside there was the matter of fixing the "runaway router mistake".

In the first pic you can see the big oops. First I rough sanded the area. We then made a dam out of two pieces of plastic and applied mold release to them. They were then clamped around the cavity. Epoxy was pigmented, mixed then poured into the cavity and allowed to cure. After cure it was sanded down level.

pic.JPG

pic (2).JPG

pic (4).JPG

Buckdog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. - Inland
AttackFish;1815994; said:
Thats way awesome.
I want to build a pond or tank this summer if its in the budget.
Awesome build.
Thanx.
Hope you get to do your build. Having fun doing it is the most important part.

Buckdog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. - Inland
Having laid in the glass it was time to put on the outside epoxy "bite" coat.

Then I hear, "Hey, lets UV it!"
Let's do what?

The next thing I know some sort of epoxy is getting poured and measured. I have to keep reminding myself that these folks do stuff like this all the time. It was explained to me that this kind of epoxy cures under UV light. We needed to close the shop door in order to keep sunlight from kicking it off the batch too soon.

We close the door and a test patch is rolled. In the first pic you can see the patch. The light is a high intensity UV setup. When it hits the wet epoxy the epoxy hardens within seconds.

You're kidding me? Cool. Lets do it.

I rolled the epoxy onto the wood. One of the shop guys goes over it with the UV lamp. We were done in no time. Right after that I started prep sanding for the fiberglass.

TANK-UV Test.JPG

TANK_UV A.jpg

TANK-UV 2.JPG

Buckdog

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 2, 2007
So.Cal. - Inland
The entire outside was glassed with a single layer of medium weight 7781 glass cloth. The window frames were covered in a single sheet which will be cut away after cure.

pic0.jpg

pic1.jpg

pic2.jpg

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store