Maryland
Number 6.

TMartinez

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
Mandarin, Fl
I agree, looks like coralline.

also the aipatasia will spread. I had 2 in my tank then it suddenly spead to 10... I got 2 peppermint shrimp and they are all gone now. Took a few weeks but no more issues.

This site helped alot http://www.chucksaddiction.com/hitchhikers.html

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
So once tank cycles a bit more I should get some peppermint shrimp to get rid of those aipatasia?

Also thanks for that website, pretty cool.

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
Should I be dosing or feeding anything to my tank right now?

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Maybe a small amount of flake or whatever else to add an ammonia source, so you can fuel the bio-cycle further. If you start doing that, I would certainly cut back on the lighting cylce.

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
I am only keeping light on for about 5 hours a day.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Greg31;5024695; said:
I am only keeping light on for about 5 hours a day.
Ok. It was really just a heads up as things can get out of hand as far as diatom and algae growth during the start up phase of a saltwater tank, just due to the swinging water qaulity and build up of nitrates and phosphates. I am honestly torn on whether to tell you to shut the lights off all together, since you have live rock with nice coraline and what not.

5 hours isnt that bad, and if you watch your nitrates/phosphates early on, you should be able to keep it to a minimum.

Greg31

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Maryland
Yeh. I bought a api saltwater kit and it did not come with a phosphate kit so I guess I need to get that. I am making sure the ammonia doesnt get above 1ppm and change thee water about every other day.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
API makes decent test kits, one thing they do a terrible job of is making complete kits. Ammonia?

Who needs an ammonia test kit after a SW tank has been set up. Their "Reef" kit cant test for calcium, alk, or phosphate if I remember correctly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store