225 GALLON FRESHWATER IN WALL SETUP BEGINS.

ronp327

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2010
roanoke,va
Looking good. The idea of an overflow is to keep surface clean and moving, but it's also good to keep water level at a constant, you will have a really tough time getting output from the fx5 to match your pump output, and as the fx5 get dirty and flow is reduced you will need to adjust your pump. I'd say it would be pretty much impossible
i have 2 600gph pumps to run on the tank. i wanted 2 smaller ones just in case something went wrong with one i could still run the filter.
i'm not very good with overflows. whats a good one for the 2 pumps i have? or should i go with 2 overflow boxes 1 for each pump?

ronp327

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2010
roanoke,va
O.K another step backwards.
After thinking about it i will need to take apart all the plumbing tonight and redo everything.
I also ordered an overflow box today and it should be here in about a week.
I hope i can go ahead and get water in the system with just the 2 FX5's running and finish with the bio filter when the overflow comes in. More pics later tonight.
Thanks for all that have replied.

felixxx

Candiru
MFK Member
May 9, 2010
england
nice work, cant wait to see more. If you run the output of the fx5s into the bio bucket and the pump in the bio fails it will drain the tank. (unless i've misunderstood your setup). I suspect that in the event of a total power out the water will siphon through the fx5s also resulting in a drained tank.

ronp327

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2010
roanoke,va
nice work, cant wait to see more. If you run the output of the fx5s into the bio bucket and the pump in the bio fails it will drain the tank. (unless i've misunderstood your setup). I suspect that in the event of a total power out the water will siphon through the fx5s also resulting in a drained tank.
Well after close consideration and a long night of thinking..Man was that hard.
Thats the reason i am going to redo the back of the tank tonight. Also the reply i got about the filters slowing down as they get dirty and trying to adjust the pumps to adjust water levels i decided not to try that and run everything seperate. Like i should have done to begin with. I just wanted to get away with ordering the overflow box. Stupid mistake on my part. I have already hit Lowes today and got supplies for tonight after work. If i get done in time i will cut the rest of the osb for the wall and start back on the metal lathe and scratch coat for the rock.

ronp327

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2010
roanoke,va
I had all the stepkids over for dinner last night so I did not get alot of work. Done on the tank.
My pumps came in yesterday and I did get the intake,uv light and return for one fx5 finished last night.
I do a leak test on that part of the system tonight and also try to finish the bio filter. I need to run the lines for the returns from the pumps to the spraybar and build the drip plate.
more pics soon.

ronp327

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 16, 2010
roanoke,va
loving it! like the whole idea.
also loving the flag *hats off*
Thank you.
It's my last tribute to my PawPaw after he passed away. He spent 32 years in the navy and that flag was in 5 naval battles in WW2 on his ship. He might just look after my fish for me when I'm not home:)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store