240 Gallon Build thread

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
So I decided to set up a 240 gallon I've had in storage for 8months or so now.

Thread will be slow as I am starting a new job, due to saving up for a much larger tank for the new house. Don't wanna talk to much about that right now, but it will be around 3 times more gallon age than this *fingers crossed*

Back to the build, tank is 8' X 2' X 2'
2 holes drilled at the moment for canisters and got the top and base finished

Things to be done-

Drill 2 more holes on the recently capped off ones, plus one on the top
Finish stand
Purchase bulkheads
Paint the back black

Water changes-
Purchasing two blue barrels

-one for new water, other for getting right amount of water out of tank to drain.
Gonna try 50 gallons every 2-3 days

Filtration-
Fx6
2 aquatop cf500uv

Heating-
2 300 watt hydor inline heaters

Air pump ect-
Need help on what to buy, will be running 2 air disks

Substrate-
Pool filter sand

Decor-
Drift wood, some plants

Intended stock-

Already have- 5" fire eel, 5" rtc (growing it out for a lfs display tank)

Looking to add- looking to grow out 1-2 rays, jardini, datnoids

Also, do you guys think I should reinforce the bottom seams? Tank is roughly half inch thick acrylic

Starting to build the stand this week, I will update this thread as I go, any recommendations are appreciated

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Going to leak test it this week. You guys think I should reinforce the bottom seams? Some acrylic rods and weld on 40?

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Are the hydor 300 watt heaters worth ordering? Leak testing the tank this week, so if it holds up I'll be ordering in the heaters

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
More filtration is here.. 2 aquatops and existing fx6. Now just waiting on the heaters

Removed the bio balls and carbon. Need suggestions on bio media, I will probably just do bio rings.

Leak testing and building stand will hopefully happen this week

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Reactions: JK47

Angelphish

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 13, 2015
Georgia
Do you have a budget in mind? Eheim substrate pro is one of the better medias you can buy although a little pricey.

If you don't want to spend the money, you could use ceramic rungs, like you mentioned earlier.

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
Do you have a budget in mind? Eheim substrate pro is one of the better medias you can buy although a little pricey.

If you don't want to spend the money, you could use ceramic rungs, like you mentioned earlier.
I've heard people say biohome is pretty good..although pricey. I will keep eheim in mind. I need to fill up the two aquatics with media and one basket on the fx6. If it becomes too pricey I may just go with rings and lava rock

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I got some pond matrix recently to enable anaerobic BB. How about matrix or pond matrix?

I figured you're only going to buy it once for biological filtration. It's a bit pricier but may be worth it long term.

Reactions: JK47

M@T!@$

Aimara
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2016
Vancouver
I got some pond matrix recently to enable anaerobic BB. How about matrix or pond matrix?

I figured you're only going to buy it once for biological filtration. It's a bit pricier but may be worth it long term.
I will keep that in mind.. I believe it's about $20 per litre?

Do you know how much of it, it would take to fill 2 aquatops?

DN328

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Aug 14, 2014
Fish Tank
I will keep that in mind.. I believe it's about $20 per litre?

Do you know how much of it, it would take to fill 2 aquatops?
I have read good things about matrix and surface space for both nitrifying and denitrifying BB. It's relatively less if you buy more. 4liters for $38 on Amazon. Seachem recommends 1liter/100,gallon. Im not sure how much room you have available in the canister?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store