240 Gallon Stand - 8 x 2 x 2

lanceiswaiting

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Australia
Wasn't planning on using plywood panels. Is there a specific benefit or is it just for aesthetics?

Here's some pics of the doghouse. Door is a little crooked cause I was trying to get it done before the forecast heavy rain. Other than that I'm happy with it

Oscar Mike

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 9, 2010
CA
The paneling would be purely aesthetic (covering up seams and screw holes) so it isn't really necessary. Im just thinking about using some trim moulding around the edges of mine so I figured everything would fit easier by making the panels a little wider than the 2x4s. The doghouse looks great btw, I bet your dog loves all that space lol

FishNCash

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Aug 1, 2009
Earth
Your stand looks great mate. Your stand looks plenty solid. if you are getting an acrylic tank then a top sheet of plywood is recommended. It cost me about $190 to build one for my 5x2x2. Frame, plywood, screws, trims, doors.

Pazzoman

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2009
New York
Looks great are you going to be using a sump as filtration? Just curious how would you support the sump? Or can it just lay on the wood beams?

lanceiswaiting

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Australia
I will more than likely be using a sump. Haven't worked out specifics yet, but the base of the stand is plenty strong. I do plan to close in the base though. Still looking at overflow designs and sump sizing.

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Pharaoh

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Feb 18, 2008
Indianapolis
If you have a glass tank as a sump, you could most likely just span the tank across the braces, but you might still need to add a couple. If it is a plastic acrylic sump, you would most likely need to brace and support the entire bottom with plywood.

lanceiswaiting

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Australia
Small update. Filled some gaps and countersunk the screws on the front of stand. Installed a bottom trim and started the frames for the cabinet doors. I found this part the hardest as there was so much measuring and re-measuring before cutting. Still got a bit of adjusting to do. I plan to put a trim around the top of the stand once the tank's in place.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store