250 Gallon Ideas

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Vultures a pretty mellow from my research, thebiggerthebetter thebiggerthebetter
Sorry, I've not read the thread from the beginning. My six vultures have been pretty mellow but they do devour some fish for some reason, small fish though new to their 4500 gal. Not all new fish. I've not figured out why yet or what sets them off.

Vultures outgrow 250 gal quickly, in ~1 year IMHO.

Snookn21 has usually had a good deal on them, much better than 4" for $90, more like $35-$50 but before shipping.

Reactions: Frank Castle

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Sorry, I've not read the thread from the beginning. My six vultures have been pretty mellow but they do devour some fish for some reason, small fish though new to their 4500 gal. Not all new fish. I've not figured out why yet or what sets them off.

Vultures outgrow 250 gal quickly, in ~1 year IMHO.

Snookn21 has usually had a good deal on them, much better than 4" for $90, more like $35-$50 but before shipping.

Thanks for the help, they look like they get pretty big and fat. But outgrowing a 250 gallon makes it not a viable option!

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Sure, mate. This is but my opinion. There are others out there. I suppose they may turn nastier in a smaller tank too but this remains to be proven.

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
How big do they actually get tbtb? Planet catfish lists them at 19 inch?

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Well I just managed to get the tank home after having to take two trips. It was one big SOB thats for sure, turns out its a 275 gallon, 78"x30"x27". Wood on the stand is gorgeous and glass looks in great shape just needs a good cleaning. Owner told me he originally paid $9,000 for it and i managed to pick it up for a measly $200.

Only issue I have right now is mom hates fish and is not having it even though she was fine before ( still hasnt even seen the tank... Uh oh). Dad on the fence, didnt realize how big it was plus has to listen to the wife! Trying do everything i can to keep this monster.

Wish me luck

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Well I just managed to get the tank home after having to take two trips. It was one big SOB thats for sure, turns out its a 275 gallon, 78"x30"x27". Wood on the stand is gorgeous and glass looks in great shape just needs a good cleaning. Owner told me he originally paid $9,000 for it and i managed to pick it up for a measly $200.

Only issue I have right now is mom hates fish and is not having it even though she was fine before ( still hasnt even seen the tank... Uh oh). Dad on the fence, didnt realize how big it was plus has to listen to the wife! Trying do everything i can to keep this monster.

Wish me luck
lol if it doesnt work out, I got you haha

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Permit me to to supply an opposite opinion to the way many people stock tanks.
IMO putting together Central American cichlids of the same genus (or those that look alike) goes against the norm, and in the end may not have great results.
When you see Parachromis (or pike cichlids) you will note the predatory mouth. This means they feed on the same things, they are competitors.
In nature you would seldom find (unless man has messed with the ecosystem) 2 species of Parachromis together.
In nature, they would compete until one was exterminated.
In the same vein, you hardly ever see 2 species of Vieja together.
But you may say, an aquarium is not nature, or even close, and I agree. The small confines of an aquarium only serves to exaggerate conflicts.
You may get away with certain stocking in a 250 gal, but if too many similar shapes are combined, you may find yourself posting (like so many other postings here) "why are my fish killing each other?" I thought I was doing everything right"?
So contrary to common practice, to me, putting same genus Parachromis, or same genus Vieja, in the same tank is not always right.
I believe you have a better chance of success, with a variety of genera in a tank.

Reactions: Frank Castle

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
lol if it doesnt work out, I got you haha
lol im holding onto this thing as long as I can, good chance I keep it but need to do a little shmoozing.

IMO putting together Central American cichlids of the same genus (or those that look alike) goes against the norm, and in the end may not have great results.
When you see Parachromis (or pike cichlids) you will note the predatory mouth. This means they feed on the same things, they are competitors.
In nature you would seldom find (unless man has messed with the ecosystem) 2 species of Parachromis together.
But you may say, an aquarium is not nature, or even close, and I agree. The small confines of an aquarium only serves to exaggerate conflicts.
You may get away with certain stocking in a 250 gal, but if too many similar shapes are combined, you may find yourself posting (like so many other postings here) "why are my fish killing each other?" I thought I was doing everything right"?
So contrary to common practice, to me, putting same genus Parachromis, or same genus Vieja, in the same tank is not always right.
I believe you have a better chance of success, with a variety of genera in a tank.
Thank you for the reply, I think that is a very different outlook then what I have read as well as been told so far but I do see what your saying. I want something that complements each other but not competes with each other to the death.

Would you have any suggestions to the 3 stockings I have posted above? I would either like to have as my centerpiece either pbass, gar, or possibly an aro since the dimensions are closer now to what they need? I do want some sort of variety within the tank being color and fish as well as having something at all three levels of water

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
This is an interesting way of looking at it - I like it, I remember reading similar posts from you like this before, but honestly when I read the 1st sentence or so I'm surprised there was no mention of worrying about hybridization ;)
uuuuuhhhhhm, well I keep ALOT of bottom-feeders and all are kept with cichlids, I'll just tell you what I have and you can buy what you like best......idk what else to do, they ALL work well w/ cichlids at this point and do a good job cleaning: Synodontis, Eclipse, Shovelnose, CAE, RTS, Rainbow Sharks, Black Sharks, Raphaels, Clown Pleco, Bulldog Pleco, Pimelodus, Asian Bumblebee, Channel, ......Polypterus and Eels do a great job cleaning up too.

Also, If you're gonna Peacocks, seriously the Parachromis would be easier, except the Dovii. As far as Pikes, I have to say, when I got my Pike, it certainly seemed to mimic my Jags' behaviors, so I think they would make good tankmates, depending on max-size for the Red. Pikes can be outrageously aggressive from what I gather. My little 6'incher was just eying up my 3" Polypterus like he was about to gulp him down.....I mean I literally had to stop typing this post and get up and net the Poly out to move him then sat back down and finished typing
just wanted to add something I forgot, the Gibbiceps pleco....it's the only big pleco I will allow myself to have lol These guys like Pardalis are much more of an open-water showpiece kind of species, I would advise if you want to try decorative pleco, see how the clowns or bulldogs are treated 1st. it would be a shame for them to kill or even just beat-up any of the flashier patterned plecos.....and emphasized even more if you are into high $$ plecos like Bue-eyeds or whatnot

Another thought I just had was Peacock bass and Jaguars - no hybridization concerns, and of the Paras it would be the one that grows too big to get eaten but won't kill Peacocks like the Dovii. As ludicrous as it sounds, I won't put it past a 20-24" Peacock trying to swallow a 12" Red Tiger Motgua......I've personally seen what NA-Bass will attempt to eat, and Peacocks are MUCH more aggressive than most of our natives.

lol there ya go, Try a Temensis and a Muskellunge epic tank idea there. That isht would be legendary

P predatorkeeper87 :D

Reactions: jvc66
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store