25g stocking ideas

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
The rams would get on well with the gourami? I just gotta figure how to sex the rams then - or can it just be two of them and what they are they are.
I haven't kept rams before, but I have seen many setups with rams and gouramis, so that should be fine. A male/female pair would probably be ideal, but I would expect that two females would be fine, as well (not sure if having two males would be such a good idea, though).

Here are a couple resources for sexing rams.
http://brc.moonfruit.com/#/sexing-guide/4528902946
http://www.fishchannel.com/fish-exc...-international/cichlid-forum/sexing-rams.aspx

Ponera

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2012
Calgary, Alberta
Apistogramma or rams are probably a decent choice, though rams can be sensitive to water quality so make sure you're on top of it. Both of those genera like heavy planting, if I recall (someone correct me if I am wrong), so that's a good choice. Some of the meaner gouramis might actually be jerks to the rams. Getting sexed rams might be hard, considering you often have to buy them young and hope they pair up. I've had my own nightmare with buying SA cichlids as babies and them all turning male or then losing it on the few females. Good luck on that one, though I've never seen rams go too crazy with aggression so you should be okay.

You are really handcuffed with such a small size, even convicts will quickly outbreed that tank (if they aren't too big when you get them already.)

adixon816

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2012
Piscataway, NJ
Apistogramma or rams are probably a decent choice, though rams can be sensitive to water quality so make sure you're on top of it. Both of those genera like heavy planting, if I recall (someone correct me if I am wrong), so that's a good choice. Some of the meaner gouramis might actually be jerks to the rams. Getting sexed rams might be hard, considering you often have to buy them young and hope they pair up. I've had my own nightmare with buying SA cichlids as babies and them all turning male or then losing it on the few females. Good luck on that one, though I've never seen rams go too crazy with aggression so you should be okay.

You are really handcuffed with such a small size, even convicts will quickly outbreed that tank (if they aren't too big when you get them already.)
Thanks for the advice. There are some supposed mated pairs of rams on aquabid. But I'm still deciding. I want to do something with the tank it's a nice setup with a fluval 204. I thought about doing a double t5NO strip and low light plants. Probably no co2. I have access to Vietnamese cloud minnows to use as well. Maybe a bn pleco to. I will skip the gourami.

Sent from my HTCONE using MonsterAquariaNetwork App

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store