thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
Have you tested your water?
No
If I did not test my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be asked to do a test, and that water tests are critical for solving freshwater health problems.
Do you do water changes?
Yes
What percentage of water do you change?
51-60%
How frequently do you change your water?
Every week
If I do not change my water...
...I recognize that I will likely be recommended to do a water change, and water changes are critical for preventing future freshwater health problems.
I have a 26" golden fire eel that came into our store that has anchor worms and I am the one treating it. The tank is connected through the drain to 3 other tanks (plans to change that) I know spiny eels are sensitive to some medications but on this system is also a 20" golden albino african lungfish so I need a treatment that will work on both fish. I can move these fish to other tanks to isolate them for treatment if needed. I know that a potassium permanganate bath and Dimilin is usually effective but is it safe for these fish? also how do I sterilize these tanks?

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Anchor worms are not worms but crustaceans, so prazi will not work.

Dimilin X is a wonderful treatment for anchor worms. We here have applied it repeatedly to our large systems, 25K gal, 26K gal, not one fish had an adverse effect.. It seems to be as mild on fish and hard to OD as the label claims. Ohio Fish Rescue has had the same results, I've not heard of problems.

IME of bucket home-performed veterinary I've not come to believe that eels and knives and catfish and loaches, etc. or any fish is more sensitive to mild meds than another. Perhaps ATF I'd be more careful with. We haven't kept other super sensitive species.

I'd be more careful with known harsh meds such as Malachite Green and formalin separately, potassium permanganate, hydrogen peroxide, etc.

I've noted pleco go into lethal shock much faster than many other fish in a 3% salt bath.

Sterilization often uses bleach, but some animals can survive short-term applications, e.g., snails.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
If they were a few anchor worms then it can be just pulled off. If you’re going to go with medication’s then dimilinX shoukd work and there’s also a microbe lift lice and Awnchor worm treatment available.

Reactions: thefredpit

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
If they were a few anchor worms then it can be just pulled off. If you’re going to go with medication’s then dimilinX shoukd work and there’s also a microbe lift lice and Awnchor worm treatment available.
I have used the Microbe Lift treatment for fish lice before on gars and bowfin with mild luck

Reactions: kno4te

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Dimilin works great IME and its very mild. Ive used it in systems with rays many times… Should b fine for the eel and lung. Dimilin is not a “fast acting” treatment tho. Every time ive used it its taken the course of a good month to eradicate anchor worms. I usually dose once a week for 2-3 weeks. My systems are all on autodrip water change so this may also be why i need repeated doses over the course of a month at a time.

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
Anchor worms are not worms but crustaceans, so prazi will not work.

Dimilin X is a wonderful treatment for anchor worms. We here have applied it repeatedly to our large systems, 25K gal, 26K gal, not one fish had an adverse effect.. It seems to be as mild on fish and hard to OD as the label claims. Ohio Fish Rescue has had the same results, I've not heard of problems.

IME of bucket home-performed veterinary I've not come to believe that eels and knives and catfish and loaches, etc. or any fish is more sensitive to mild meds than another. Perhaps ATF I'd be more careful with. We haven't kept other super sensitive species.

I'd be more careful with known harsh meds such as Malachite Green and formalin separately, potassium permanganate, hydrogen peroxide, etc.

I've noted pleco go into lethal shock much faster than many other fish in a 3% salt bath.

Sterilization often uses bleach, but some animals can survive short-term applications, e.g., snails.
So skip the potassium permanganate got it.

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Yes, no need for the PP at all.

In our hands dimilin x (active ingredient diflubenzfuron, IDK what's in the MicrobeLift med, I'd think should be the same) worked in one application as well as in several, as Wednesday says. It's not overnight but IMHumbO it's not needed.

thefredpit

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jul 28, 2012
United States
Yes, no need for the PP at all.

In our hands dimilin x (active ingredient diflubenzfuron, IDK what's in the MicrobeLift med, I'd think should be the same) worked in one application as well as in several, as Wednesday says. It's not overnight but IMHumbO it's not needed.
the active ingredient in microbe-lift is cyromazine

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store