265 Gallon Crossroads, a decent read ahead of you.

What should i do with my Leaking 265 Gallon Aquarium

• Clean it, Re Seal it Again, and enjoy a 265 Gallon Dream tank!

Votes: 26 78.8%
  • Sell it, buy something newer and smaller but still big.

Votes: 7 21.2%

• Total voters

ziggy2

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
IL
If you don't take the tank apart completely and reseal it. I wouldn't even bother. With a 265 you have to have it right. You can't just do the interior and expect it to last.

Reactions: boldtogether

jesteratc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2011
Micco Florida
I will drain the rest of the system tonight, and try to get all the rocks back out of it. I know next time when i leak test it i will wait on the gravel. It takes so long to get every last piece out before re sealing. Ill take some pics as i go tonight so i can keep this motivational thread going. It helps me to keep pushing forward in the evenings after working a 10 hr day.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
I will drain the rest of the system tonight, and try to get all the rocks back out of it. I know next time when i leak test it i will wait on the gravel. It takes so long to get every last piece out before re sealing. Ill take some pics as i go tonight so i can keep this motivational thread going. It helps me to keep pushing forward in the evenings after working a 10 hr day.
I let my 265 sit empty for about a week before I put any water in it.How long did you let the tank sit before you filled it last time?

jesteratc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2011
Micco Florida
Over a Month. I wanted to hard pipe everything under the tank, and because of this and that had to wait for the funds to get it done. So yeah, probably about 6 weeks it sat dry before i added any water. I had a few inches of water in it. All looked good, then added half full for quite a while, the full and 3 days later bam.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Over a Month. I wanted to hard pipe everything under the tank, and because of this and that had to wait for the funds to get it done. So yeah, probably about 6 weeks it sat dry before i added any water. I had a few inches of water in it. All looked good, then added half full for quite a while, the full and 3 days later bam.
Hmm hope all goes well this time.

jesteratc

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2011
Micco Florida
Why would you say no acetone? (jsodwi) Just curious. I watched a couple video's on youtube and tried to read all i could leading up to doing the job the first time and everyone recomends something that can bite into the silicone or wear it away somehow.

jsodwi

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 9, 2005
south of heaven
Why would you say no acetone? (jsodwi) Just curious. I watched a couple video's on youtube and tried to read all i could leading up to doing the job the first time and everyone recomends something that can bite into the silicone or wear it away somehow.
Well I use ASI silicone. It's what big aquarium builders use. If you read on the msds or tube it lists a few chemicals not to use with the silicone. If you read the chemicals in acetone a couple pop up that are no good. Now I am by no means a tank builder but I've resealed many tanks that some are still running 15 years later so I can only share what I have done with success

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Well I use ASI silicone. It's what big aquarium builders use. If you read on the msds or tube it lists a few chemicals not to use with the silicone. If you read the chemicals in acetone a couple pop up that are no good. Now I am by no means a tank builder but I've resealed many tanks that some are still running 15 years later so I can only share what I have done with success
John have you ever taken a tank completely apart in order to reseal it?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store