265 Gallon Salt

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
MasterB;4744328; said:
Some of the fish in the 125 will eventually be over in the 265 such as the Naso, Blue Tang, etc. Most of the other fish are small.

If the Copperband is so delicate how did he survive the initial tank cycle? He was eating great and got along with the other fish, especially the Saddleback. It's going to be a while before I add more fish to the 125.

The skimmer on the 265 is a Berlin XL, on the 125 in a Coralife.

MasterB;4761424; said:
No I'm not trying to show off all my "expensive fish". BTW, isnt that what the site is mostly about? Showing off your fish, tanks, setups, etc?? Im not made of money like some people on here are and I do care about my fish.

I didnt have all those small fish in the Tess Eel so not sure where you got that from and he isnt going to eat what I have in there right now either. Yes he can damage anyone of them but so can the rest of the fish if they choose too.

I did a complete 180 and tore down the 125, sold the fish and did freshwater again. I did keep the 265 up because of the big fish which I love. Just cant do the small fish, I try and everytime I end up selling them. I sold the Stars puffer and getting ready to buy a Golden Mel. I have the Eel, Angel, Bat and Lion in the 265 and still running good. Put in all the live rock and sand in the 265 so it looks much better now. Also have both skimmers on it. the wet/dry however didnt work, it was to big so now I'm without one again, had it on the outside of the tank temporarily. All the fish are doing good, eating well, batfish is almost healed up from being picked on by the porcupine puffer, I also kepy my large Naso Tang, almost forgot about him. Also added 2 more Koralinas to the 265 from the 125.
The eel will eventually eat some of your fish.

The stock list in your 265 does look much better now. Too bad you can't use the big wet/dry. The extra water volume would help. You could also set it up as a refugium.

True, you do have expensive fish. I think most folks here, including myself, were astounded by how you set up your tank so quick and added such a massive bioload. Hope you really do care about your fish.

R6RYDR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Lacey, WA
Hard to go through 10 pages.. but WOW! That's a lot of fish in a hurry. And agreed - the 125 is overstocked. Not sure of the size of the fish currently but they will grow to be fairly large.

I know they look cool and are fun to watch but you really need to think about their comfort and safety when selecting them. Take your time to read and do research.

I'm learning from my mistakes. Hope you do to.

nonstophoops

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 4, 2009
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
MasterB;4761424; said:
No I'm not trying to show off all my "expensive fish". BTW, isnt that what the site is mostly about? Showing off your fish, tanks, setups, etc?? Im not made of money like some people on here are and I do care about my fish.

I didnt have all those small fish in the Tess Eel so not sure where you got that from and he isnt going to eat what I have in there right now either. Yes he can damage anyone of them but so can the rest of the fish if they choose too.

I did a complete 180 and tore down the 125, sold the fish and did freshwater again. I did keep the 265 up because of the big fish which I love. Just cant do the small fish, I try and everytime I end up selling them. I sold the Stars puffer and getting ready to buy a Golden Mel. I have the Eel, Angel, Bat and Lion in the 265 and still running good. Put in all the live rock and sand in the 265 so it looks much better now. Also have both skimmers on it. the wet/dry however didnt work, it was to big so now I'm without one again, had it on the outside of the tank temporarily. All the fish are doing good, eating well, batfish is almost healed up from being picked on by the porcupine puffer, I also kepy my large Naso Tang, almost forgot about him. Also added 2 more Koralinas to the 265 from the 125.
I must say Finally!!! Sounds like you figured out the fish you want to keep and as long as you stick to it and don't add anymore fish you will have a much better chance of success than before.

I have to agree that before it did look like you just wanted to show that you could buy lots and lots of fish and throw them in a tank, but this is a great idea to change what you are doing.

The site is about showing off your prized setups and fish, but everyone wants to see them have success. I personally come on here to learn and help people be successful in stocking and setting up their tanks. I will not shy away from telling people when they are screwing up and not doing research before diving into the hobby. Before you were leading down the expensive road of disaster and many people felt that way. I want to see pictures of your more manageable and hopefully successful setup now.

So please keep us updated and show us some pics of your setup now with more rock and a reasonable amount of fish.

With that being said...
You will still need to have a good maintenance schedule with the size of fish you have even in a big setup. Consistently do water changes.

I assume you mean the sump was too big to fit under the stand? It would be very helpful to have one. Increased water volume, high dissolved oxygen, declutter the tank of heaters, skimmers, etc. So do think if you can find a way to put some sort of overflow and sump on the tank.

Are both the skimmers producing dark skimmate at this point? Like it has been said before, it is key to have skimmers producing and removing lots of waste.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store