2700 or 4000 will my basement floor support this?

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
The foundation for our fishroom was poured over the old garage floor. Our engineer drew up plans to have the area directly under the tank reinforced with extra rebar to support the weight of our 15' x 4' x 4' tank and its stand. (Stand is made of 3 1/2" tubular steel, so is very heavy).

VLDesign built a 2700 gallon tank in his basement. Check with him and see if he did anything (or felt a need) to check on the structual integrity of his floor before he started his build.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
The foundation for our fishroom was poured over the old garage floor. Our engineer drew up plans to have the area directly under the tank reinforced with extra rebar to support the weight of our 15' x 4' x 4' tank and its stand. (Stand is made of 3 1/2" tubular steel, so is very heavy).

VLDesign built a 2700 gallon tank in his basement. Check with him and see if he did anything (or felt a need) to check on the structual integrity of his floor before he started his build.
Thanks pacu mom...exellent fish room i think im just gona stick to 2700 for safety and continue the build. I dont think i can get a 14x4' steel wall into my basement anyway so it was kinda decieded for me to stick with a final footprint of 8'x4'x12'

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
The kinda cool thing is that your tank has almost the same footprint as mine. It's about 8'x12' inside, but 6' deep.
Great minds think alike Pete hah, I got my fingers crossed for you, I been keepin up on your build. I'm confined with ceiling space for a taller height and my acrylic is only 1'' so I'm already kinda pushin it. There will b three 4 ft. By 4 ft. Windows supported by steel, I'm just hoping the bowing won't be terrible.

Bananimal

Feeder Fish
Jul 31, 2012
Georgia, USA
My friend's tanks in his house are 26' long plywood tanks with liners in them. He rubber cements a hard rubber gasket to the inside of the pond liner then adheres the glass window to the hard rubber gasket with Dow 795. After the tank is all set, he cuts out the liner from the outside to reveal the windows. He's done everything from these tanks to 135,000 gallon 100 ft. long barbel shaped concrete and acrylic shark tank. He had 4 concrete tanks built into his detached garage. I was originally going to do my tank with a liner like his, but then I got caught up in the whole Blue Max then Permadri thing. Sometimes I wish I had gone with that original idea, but most of the time I am thankful for the innovation experience it gave me.
You wouldn't happen to be talking about Jack would ya? If so, I was on the phone with him last night discussing my build. I am in the initial planning stage and probably won't start until I sell both of my motorcycles to finance finishing my basement. I met Jack through my wife when we lived in NOLA. We're in N. Georgia now and the spot I have picked out in my basement will allow for a 15' x 10' x 4' tank. I need to determine if my slab can take that kind of pressure though. Jack was giving me all kinds of ideas last night. He's a great guy.

cameronpalte

Feeder Fish
Aug 2, 2012
san jose
I disagree on the weight of the aquarium being distributed evenly because many people don't build flat board stands however the bottom of the stand may be three or for 2 by 8 or something like that. If your planning on having a stand the majority of the weight will be centered on the stand's support legs which means if you have a weak spot under one of the support legs it could cause the stand and then the aquarium to collapse.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store