29 gallon electric blue ram breeding tank

Fishbrains

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2012
Colorado
very nice! what lighting are you using? Im curious because I have been playing with the idea of planting my 29 and breeding rams. I would definitely need a new light to do that though.

discusadis

Exodon
MFK Member
May 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
very nice! what lighting are you using? Im curious because I have been playing with the idea of planting my 29 and breeding rams. I would definitely need a new light to do that though.
Thank you. Since the only plants are java fern and java moss I am just using a single 6500k ultra sunlight bulb. I also have flourish plant tabs in the gravel for the java fern

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

cacichilds

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2012
NJ
if you have the money the new marineland led plant lights are great with preset timers and full spectrum range of colors. its around 2xx for a light setup that will grow most plants.

Fishbrains

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 22, 2012
Colorado
I saw those! I don't know what I will do yet. still in the planning and develepment stages. thanks for the advice.

jabsthetank

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2010
California
VERY NICE SETUP! Background, moss tied around the driftwood to make it look like a tree, java fern = wow :thumbsup:
Have you bred fish before? The high temp and low pH induces breeding? I'm very interested in this blue ram breeding.
Sounds very cool. How many males and females are you adding? Any pics? :)

Aquanero

Global Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Feb 16, 2009
New Jersey
Your tank looks good the background is nice too. Java fern generally does better tied to rocks or drift wood as opposed to planted directly in the substrate the root structure should be in open water planting will cause it to rot. Rams like warmer tamps in the mid 80's which might be a little high for the the plants. I wouldn't worry too much about ph EBR are very far removed from the wild and should have no trouble adopting to your tap water. I would find out what ph they are currently being kept in so you'll know how to properly acclamate them. Drip acclamatiom over a few houres is best if there is much of a differance between your water and what they are currently being kept in. Rams can be tough especially if they are farmed going to breeders is best with these guys so source your fish carfully. GL

discusadis

Exodon
MFK Member
May 14, 2012
Pittsburgh
Thanks guys! Only other fish I have bred is various live bearers and apistogramma agassizii and apisto cacatuoides. I'm getting 3 males 3 females (at least that's what I'm being told). I have other tanks if I have territory problems between males. I will be getting the EBRs in 2 weeks so the tank is nice and cycled. pH they are coming from is over 7 so I am gonna bump mine up to 6.5 and acclimate them slow

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store