29 gallon saltwater tank?

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
rrcoolj;4488974; said:
Would two be fine in this size tank?
that just depends on how much water each pump moves.

reptileguy2727

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2005
Northern Virginia
It is really hard to get too much flow. There can be too much flow in the spot you put a coral for that particular coral. A lot of people will get two strong pumps, put them at each end of the tank, and put them on a wavemaker. I suggest the Instant Ocean Natural Wave. It is a power strip with six outlets. Two alternate with each other, one goes on and off randomly, and the other are normal outlets you can use for anything. Remember to get flow behind the rock work too. The only pump inside my tank is on the back and points behind all the rockwork. Without a lot of flow all around the rock it cannot do its job of filtering very well.

Any time you change animals from their natural form you reduce genetic variability and hardiness. The more you select for anything other than hardiness the more hardiness you will lose.

You can get normal patterned captive bred clownfish too. These can be very good for many reasons. You know they eat prepared foods, are 'cleaner' than wild caughts (fewer pathogens), do not involve any wild capturing or effects on the ecosystem, and they settle in to new tanks much more easily than those from the wild. So even you do not personally prefer any of the designer breeds there are captive bred wild types.

There are other companies and sources for many of those same breeds of clownfish.

PEVINE11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
Franklin N.H
www.myspace.com
FLESHY;4488224; said:
The fighting is part of the pairing process...the larger fish bullies the smaller one into changing gender. Once paired, the fighting will stop. So... -1.

Heath's point is that the level of inbreeding required to get clowns to the point where they display that coloration is rediculous. Im not sure if thats true or not, but I would guess so, and tend to agree. Your comment has nothing to do with that, other than saying that their fish look cool. Thanks.
pairing process (which i ststed before and posted a video of) can result in death. Also typically the clowns are the same size when pairing at a young age. Then the femalm will become distnictively larger then the male.

"Once paired, the fighting will stop"
Tho from time to time they may fight.....so -1 for you
Espically if the tank is changed alot, or if the clowns are moved to a new tank. they may go through the pairing again

BUT they can fight untill one dies........so the fighting doesnt always stop. so +1 for me.

Heath's point is that the level of inbreeding required to get clowns to the point where they display that coloration is rediculous. Im not sure if thats true or not, but I would guess so, and tend to agree. Your comment has nothing to do with that, other than saying that their fish look cool. Thanks.
yes i did say they are beautiful, and in the hobby they are semi rare. mostly because of the price, and trying to get one can be chllangeing. but as he stated he probly wont get a special breed so no need to get off topic

rrcoolj

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2008
DMV
Clown are reminding me of cichlids where the male can kill the female during the pairing process. It's probably something I just have to watch so they don't mutilate eachother. Thanks guys for all the advice i really appreciate it. Hopefully a saltwater aquarium is in my future.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
PEVINE11;4489353; said:
pairing process (which i ststed before and posted a video of) can result in death. Also typically the clowns are the same size when pairing at a young age. Then the femalm will become distnictively larger then the male.

"Once paired, the fighting will stop"
Tho from time to time they may fight.....so -1 for you
Espically if the tank is changed alot, or if the clowns are moved to a new tank. they may go through the pairing again

BUT they can fight untill one dies........so the fighting doesnt always stop. so +1 for me.
This is why experienced clown keepers never put two clowns the same size in the same tank.

Sexual Dimorphism in clownfish varies. Your catchall is not only wrong...it is a catch all, and doesnt describe what many clowns do.

Some clowns can change gender their whole lives...some cannot (maroons).
The largest fish in the system is usually female, not because it was "dominant" but because it is much larger, it has no challengers, and therefore is a female. Fish dont grow because of gender.

Once paired clownfish will pick at each other, but I have never once seen this fighting be lethal. Clowns will not "un-pair" due to circumstances (minus complete separation). You can do whatever you want in a tank, the male will stay male, the female will stay female. They will not "re-pair". If you switched up their mates, and gave them respectively smaller or larger mates, they would have to assert dominance over the other (Assuming that they are hermaphroditic for the entirety of their lives, which I have pointed out not all clownfish are.) Until the dominant fish became female.

The bullying occurs because of gender similarities, and for no other reason. Once these have been resolved, the picking will subside to occasional "love taps" if that.

I have spawned clownfish in personal, and laboratory settings. I would go into this more with you...but feel as if describing it in detail would be a waste of my time.

PEVINE11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
Franklin N.H
www.myspace.com
FLESHY;4492065; said:
This is why experienced clown keepers never put two clowns the same size in the same tank.

Sexual Dimorphism in clownfish varies. Your catchall is not only wrong...it is a catch all, and doesnt describe what many clowns do.

Some clowns can change gender their whole lives...some cannot (maroons).
The largest fish in the system is usually female, not because it was "dominant" but because it is much larger, it has no challengers, and therefore is a female. Fish dont grow because of gender.

Once paired clownfish will pick at each other, but I have never once seen this fighting be lethal. Clowns will not "un-pair" due to circumstances (minus complete separation). You can do whatever you want in a tank, the male will stay male, the female will stay female. They will not "re-pair". If you switched up their mates, and gave them respectively smaller or larger mates, they would have to assert dominance over the other (Assuming that they are hermaphroditic for the entirety of their lives, which I have pointed out not all clownfish are.) Until the dominant fish became female.

The bullying occurs because of gender similarities, and for no other reason. Once these have been resolved, the picking will subside to occasional "love taps" if that.

I have spawned clownfish in personal, and laboratory settings. I would go into this more with you...but feel as if describing it in detail would be a waste of my time.
if every thread you feel the need to try to seem more knowledgble.

tho some points stated are correct and some are falso. im done, this thread is not about clown fish, i just recomended them as a fish to keep.

P.S
anyone can spawn clowns.....its raiseing the young and etc. where experiance matters.

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
I just dont think you should go around saying things that arent true. If you dont know, why say it?

PEVINE11

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2007
Franklin N.H
www.myspace.com
FLESHY;4492250; said:
I just dont think you should go around saying things that arent true. If you dont know, why say it?
enlighten me whats not true....or what do you think isnt true?

rather then rant on things that dont matter like how you breed clowns (which anyone can do its quite common) adress the point you disagree with.

Heathd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2010
Dallas, Texas
PEVINE11;4492228; said:
if every thread you feel the need to try to seem more knowledgble.

tho some points stated are correct and some are falso. im done, this thread is not about clown fish, i just recomended them as a fish to keep.

P.S
anyone can spawn clowns.....its raiseing the young and etc. where experiance matters.
LULZ

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store