2x 2ft+ arapima on aqua classifieds!

jclyde13

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2009
Louisville, KY
Cheesetian;4712273; said:
They don't get to 8'-10' in captivity although you're gonna' need a pond or a huge tank.
Really? How many have you kept to an age of 8+ years? According to the members here who have been keeping them for a while, they actually do get that large (and larger) in captivity. :popcorn:

Ocean Railroader

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2010
Richmond VA
I think these are the fish that someone on this website that built 2700 gallon cinder block fish tank and a 5000 gallon cinder block tank but then he knocked them both down and built a 10,000 gallon fish tank over top of both tanks. The fish I think was about as big as he was and he named the fish Sammy.

T1KARMANN

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Sep 19, 2005
London UK
I saw the add on AC it silly to even put them up for sale

I know a good few hardcore fishkeepers in the UK and can't think of any that could take care of one for life

The seller says the buyer must have a big enough tank it's not like he has 1 for sale he has 3

The days of that 3 are numbered as it's not like we can have out door tropical ponds in the UK

Fish like this should be banned in the UK

And yes some are chipped with paperwork

Sidrock

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 20, 2009
Bombay, India
krichardson;4713512; said:
:ROFL:Nice comeback........They should start to get the red in their tail at around their current size but in the wild they eat some sort of freshwater crab that really brings out the red coloring.
Question: Is it true that the red is primarily seen in females and red-scales in males are relatively less?

(BTW: 1ft 'pimas are for sale in Bombay, India for around 220USD)

-Sid

Zoodiver

As seen on TV
MFK Member
Aug 22, 2005
South FL
They don't get to 8'-10' in captivity although you're gonna' need a pond or a huge tank.
Yes they do. If they don't, you didn't raise them correctly.

JONNY CICHLA;4712878; said:
Thats some growth rate"" 2ft a year"" when do they get there nice red colourd scales!!

Growth rate is amazing with these animals. 2 feet a year is maybe even on the slow side for young animals. They do slow down after about 6-7 feet.

Red depends on two things: Gentics and diet. If they don't have the red genes, they won't turn red. If they do have the red genes, they need to have a healthy (and varied) diet to let that color show. Red can show up as small as 3 feet, but you usually see it more above 4 feet.

JONNY CICHLA;4713242; said:
Did i say i was going to buy one at eney time mate??
You asked questions aimed at buying them.... ergo it looks like you are.

HungDang

Piranha
MFK Member
Nov 29, 2010
Fort Worth
8'-10' is the size in captivity, there was many fish that grew up to 15' in Amazon river !

Juxtaroberto

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2009
Los Angeles, CA, USA
With proper care and clean water and a decent sized tank/pond, yes they would.

jr monster fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 17, 2007
Fox island wa
T1KARMANN;4715539; said:
I saw the add on AC it silly to even put them up for sale

I know a good few hardcore fishkeepers in the UK and can't think of any that could take care of one for life

The seller says the buyer must have a big enough tank it's not like he has 1 for sale he has 3

The days of that 3 are numbered as it's not like we can have out door tropical ponds in the UK

Fish like this should be banned in the UK

And yes some are chipped with paperwork
This is exactly what we want...as long as the seller has adequate space to hold them if he can't sell them then that is a good thing. At least they aren't going to some :swear: newbie.:newbie:
That being said, he probably doesn't have a big enough tank.........[:arapaimag]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store