3.5 inch female cichlid tankmates

slava2929

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
Ontario
I have a semi planted 40 breeder with lots of caves and ONE, 1 year old female convict which I love. Only problem is I'd like to have more cichlids but not a male convict because I dont want eggs, fry, etc.
I had her in there with a male Jewel, until it grew too big and started pushing her around. He was sold at auction earlier this evening because my convict is my favourite fish. Just wondering what my stocking options are although I realize there is no perfect answer. I have a breeding pair of rainbow cichlids in another tank that i dont want to split up but i know rainbow cic's are one option. Another is a firemouth, a salvini, a festivum?, acara?, Sajica? What fish or mix of fish (overstock a 40 breeder?) is the most likely to work with a relatively peaceful female convict?
Thanks for your time, everyone.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have a semi planted 40 breeder with lots of caves and ONE, 1 year old female convict which I love. Only problem is I'd like to have more cichlids but not a male convict because I dont want eggs, fry, etc.
I had her in there with a male Jewel, until it grew too big and started pushing her around. He was sold at auction earlier this evening because my convict is my favourite fish. Just wondering what my stocking options are although I realize there is no perfect answer. I have a breeding pair of rainbow cichlids in another tank that i dont want to split up but i know rainbow cic's are one option. Another is a firemouth, a salvini, a festivum?, acara?, Sajica? What fish or mix of fish (overstock a 40 breeder?) is the most likely to work with a relatively peaceful female convict?
Thanks for your time, everyone.

Personally wouldn't add anymore Cichlids but dithers may work like Swordtails or Tetra Buenos Aires. Adding another Cichlid will result in the same issue with one Cichlid dominating the other.

Reactions: slava2929

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with linsdey, the tank is too small to have 2 cichlids, and not have territorial issues, unless they are male and female and compatible as a pair.
A small group of geographically correct live bearers such as swordtails or mollies or tetras would be my choice. The swordtail would occasionally drop fry, but the convict would keep their numbers minimal.

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
Yeah, kind of a difficult thing to advise on, most likely scenario with any species you add is that one will dominate the other. Even with females, seems to be the territorial nature of cichlids. You might be able to get away with something small and non-aggressive, if your female con is passive. Perhaps kribensis pair. But there is a very good chance there will be issues between them.
I keep a single male panamensis with a bunch of non-cichlids which he (usually) ignores in a 45 gallon tank. He killed his female in a 90, and is very mean to other cichlids, but doesn't care much about schoolers etc. Pretty enjoyable tank/ I think your best bet is to keep her as a wet pet, or get her a male.

slava2929

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
Ontario
I REALLY appreciate the feedback because I was thinking with my heart not my head. These three responses just confirm my instincts which I was ignoring because, like most fish keepers, I want more fish. I will heed the advice and won't put another cichlid in the tank. I think another cichlid is possible, but far too risky and it's nice to get advice from people who have experience with this stuff. Cheers.

Kvandy

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2018
Roseville, MI
You could get a male convict and feed all the fry to a different tank. The breeding behavior is going to be far more interesting than any tank mate in your situation.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store