$3,500.00 for a tank. Any ideas?

Blacksunshine420

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
WA
x4. When I was looking at the link of that tank I sent you. I was thinking "man thats all he's working with for a monster tank?" heh.

But As to your question about the central overflow. I've been thinking this out as well. I'm kinda of in the same perdiciment as you.
I like the idea of the central flow because it gives the tank a well central area to flow to rather then at the corners. IMO it would look great coverd over with some rock so you cant really see it. the down side is the plumming that you would have do deal with underneath. since its going to be so far forward. altho once the tanks all set up and done that shouldnt be much of a problem. and you can plumb it to place your wet dry wherever you want.
Also the 360 viewing makes it so worth it. With a tank that big you really do want that 360 view because you miss out on appreciation of half the tank if you stick it on the wall. and the overflows would detract from the over all viewing exp if in the rear corners.

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
I am spending the $3,500.00 on just the tank. I already have the filtration and I am building my own stand and canopy. I think I am going with the center overflow and putting live rock around it and some calurpa plants. I think I can make it look pretty good. If I dont go with center overflow then I will go with side overflows. I saw some tanks with overflows that span the back wall and that is good flow but you lose alot of tank space.

hillbilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Western North Carolina
You can get a glass tank that's 144"x37 1/2"x36" at Glasscages for $3450.00. It would be heavy as hell, but it's a great price. I got turned off by Tru-Vu tanks a couple years ago by the way they ship them. I had 2 180gal. tanks that were drop shipped to me from the company, and both were busted because they were only covered by cardboard on a pallet. If they had been crated properly, they would never have been damaged.

Blacksunshine420

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
WA
You can get a glass tank that's 144"x37 1/2"x36" at Glasscages for $3450.00. It would be heavy as hell, but it's a great price. I got turned off by Tru-Vu tanks a couple years ago by the way they ship them. I had 2 180gal. tanks that were drop shipped to me from the company, and both were busted because they were only covered by cardboard on a pallet. If they had been crated properly, they would never have been damaged.
Damn they cracked a 180? how thick was the acrylic? I hear true vue (I have one) skimps on the acrylic thickness and they use a thinner wall then most makers. I've noticed a slight bow to the face of my tank due to this. they are nice tanks. but there is a slight level of nerviousness. my tanks only a 75 so I'm sure its fine. but a 180 should be thick enought that it would take a battering ram to crack it.

hillbilly

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2005
Western North Carolina
Yep. They shipped 2 from the factory, and both were cracked. Well, one was cracked, the other was smashed! I called them to inquire about the way they were shipped in flimsy cardboard, and Tru-Vu's reply was "We ship them that way all the time and never have a problem". The seller filed a claim, and I got my money back, but it was a bad experience. The tanks were 1/2" thick.

cichlid savage

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2006
Look up
Good luck with your tank hunt. Try ebay or craigslist you might get a great deal on a used tank. Also ask around at your LFS you never know what you might find.

Blacksunshine420

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
WA
Yep. They shipped 2 from the factory, and both were cracked. Well, one was cracked, the other was smashed! I called them to inquire about the way they were shipped in flimsy cardboard, and Tru-Vu's reply was "We ship them that way all the time and never have a problem". The seller filed a claim, and I got my money back, but it was a bad experience. The tanks were 1/2" thick.
wow. that sucks. suprised they came in damaged like that being 1/2" they should stand up to some amount of punishment. ahh well. I guess I will be looking past Tru-vue on my next tank.

TankBuster

" I feel violated "
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2006
Glendora, Ca
Well, an inspector came out here this week and told me there is no way I can put something that heavy against the wall because there is already foundation problems, cracks in every corner of the house. That is what you get when you have a house in Texas, the soil moves away from the foundation when it gets too dry. GGGGRRRRRR!!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store