3 arows - aggression??

rust9000

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Cumbria, UK
Hi all, i have a 6x2x2 with a 9" silver and a 4/5" silver and a lone geo lol...now there is no aggression between the 2...but the smaller one cowers in the courner but ventures out some times to say hi and to feed but one look from the bigger one and he goes back to hidding, now my question is my not so lfs has some nice 7-9" silvers in...will adding another one bring the smaller one out...or will the two biger ones beat the small one then fight between each other?? i dont want to spend 50 pounds on a new arow then the $h*t to his the fan....the only other fish i plan to add is a meddium size catfish, maybe a pimolodus blochii or a dwarf giraffe cat and then a pair (breeding or just 2 individuals) red head severums and maybe another geo...but more focusing on the arows (7x30x30 is in the making....well looking to buy lol) tank has an FX5 and a 200w and 150w heater with 2 standard 5ft aquarium bulbs, sand bottom and minimal decore....2 bits of slate and 8 plants....thanks in advance

xdragonxb0i

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2009
Arkansas
you never know, you just have to give it a chance, be ready to separate them if needed

Crazyfish88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2009
BC, Canada
rust9000;3737770; said:
Hi all, i have a 6x2x2 with a 9" silver and a 4/5" silver and a lone geo lol...now there is no aggression between the 2...but the smaller one cowers in the courner but ventures out some times to say hi and to feed but one look from the bigger one and he goes back to hidding, now my question is my not so lfs has some nice 7-9" silvers in...will adding another one bring the smaller one out...or will the two biger ones beat the small one then fight between each other?? i dont want to spend 50 pounds on a new arow then the $h*t to his the fan....the only other fish i plan to add is a meddium size catfish, maybe a pimolodus blochii or a dwarf giraffe cat and then a pair (breeding or just 2 individuals) red head severums and maybe another geo...but more focusing on the arows (7x30x30 is in the making....well looking to buy lol) tank has an FX5 and a 200w and 150w heater with 2 standard 5ft aquarium bulbs, sand bottom and minimal decore....2 bits of slate and 8 plants....thanks in advance

My 3 silver aro's have some aggression, more from the 2 biggest one as one of them beats up the other. They are both pushing 15-16" and the smallest one is about 14". The bigger dominate one picks on the 2nd 16" then the 2nd sometimes picks on the smaller 14". These aro's were all purchased at the same time, grew up from 7". Adding another aro might not be a good idea as your biggest aro is more likely to be the dominate one and thats why your smaller one hides alot. If you do then take them all out and try adding all 3 in the tank at the same time. Also if you have driftwood or rocks try moving them around as well so the dominate aro won't recognize it's home.

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
had three 5-7''ers in my 210 and they were fine for about 4 weeks. Swimming together and getting along great until i found the smallest of the bunch with its stomach eaten out. they are now seperated.

rust9000

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Cumbria, UK
Ok thanks guys, the arow at the lfs is thesame size if not abit bigger than my biggest one, im just worried about my little one...my big one is a soft git lol...the geo bullys him lol...my 2 arows do sit side by side, but have to have a bit of plant beside them :S or the dont like it lol...wats up with that??

peewee

Dovii
MFK Member
Feb 24, 2009
Behind you
most of the time there is only aggression when they are cramped in such as small space, in short when there is enough space most probably there would be less aggression among them.

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
All have given good advice, aggression in aros is unpredictable. Adding a third will not guarantee spread of aggression. What are your plans for moving 2 or 3 aros to a bigger tank? If the 180g is going to be it I would suggest keeping just one aro, this will also curb all aggression.

rust9000

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Cumbria, UK
as i said in one of my above posts im looking for a good deal on a 84x30x30, and as the arows are only young it gives me a few months to find the right deal, my plan will be either 2 FX5s or a wet/dry...am oin to give it a shot with the 3rd one, ill let you know how it goes

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store