3 Eels and some other fish compatibility

sini5t3r

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
So I've got a 55 gal tank with 5 different types of filteration and different types of fish. I've got 2 dinosaur Bichar, 2 peacock eels, 1 tire track eel, needle nose gar, leaf fish, archer fish, and some misc smaller fish that will probably be dinner sooner or later...my main question is all my eels and my bichar move around the tank and eat when offered but my new tire track eel which is slightly bigger then my peacock eels just hides in the corner of a filter and hides. It sits there all day and moves every once in a while...I have feeder fish in the tank for the gar and even tho I have not seen the tire track eat he still seems nice and plump and healthy.he gets defensive and moves when I put my fingers to the glass but goes right back to the same spot. I have not seen any fish mess with the tire track at all but he seems like he just wants to constantly hide behind the filter. Is this normal for tire tracks till then get acclimated to the tank it's been about a week since he was put in the tank. I know something is eating feeder minnowsbecause every morning there are minnows stuck to the filters with bites on them and half bodys so I know it's not the gar. Any ideas? There are lots and lots of hiding places and a while pvc maze under the sand with 5 entrances located all around the tank. The peacock eels use thepvc hides but mainly sit under the sand with there heads out so I know they are not bullying the tire track out of the pvc hides

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
It's still getting used to ur tank likely. I would just make sure there's a hiding spot for the fish. Would try some blood worms at night and see if that's better. The bites on ur feeders are probably from the polys. The other thing is ur tank is a bit busy and sounds a bit crowded.

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
that tank is waaaaaaaaaaaay to busy for small eels. The peacocks are going to be dinner for the gar or bichir. The tyretrack most likely isn't biting feeders in half, its probably the gar. Whats your water change schedule like? Also, is your leaf fish an actual Amazonian leaf fish or is it an African bushfish that are always mislabeled in big name LFS's?
On top of that the TT eel is going to outgrow that tank. It won't be super quickly but they get big, way too big for a 55.

sini5t3r

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
Lmao I guess after looking at pictures online it's a bushfish Lmao how lame! Leaf fish lookway cooler lol. N the tank used to be busy till about 80% of my community fish dissapeared writhing 3-4 days haha I did not think the bichar were going to be that mean n yeah I know the fish are going to outgrow the tanks I already have plans for when the time comes. 25% water change every other week or so. I got two hang on back filters that are big and 2 k-1 moving filters and a 400GPH Powerhead attached to a huge sponge so water is pretty good. Also using 1tps of aquarium salt per 10gal of water

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
Lmao I guess after looking at pictures online it's a bushfish Lmao how lame! Leaf fish lookway cooler lol. N the tank used to be busy till about 80% of my community fish dissapeared writhing 3-4 days haha I did not think the bichar were going to be that mean n yeah I know the fish are going to outgrow the tanks I already have plans for when the time comes. 25% water change every other week or so. I got two hang on back filters that are big and 2 k-1 moving filters and a 400GPH Powerhead attached to a huge sponge so water is pretty good. Also using 1tps of aquarium salt per 10gal of water
Lol don't worry, you'll catch on to the common mislabels that happen at big box pet stores. That's one of the main ones for sure. Those guys get fairly big, not massive but around 6-8" and thick. my two are roughly 6" long and probably 2.5-3" wide. They are aggressive as well so he may pick on your gar and any smaller fish in that tank will be a meal-they are keen little predators.
Bichirs are predators first and foremost. Anything that can fit in their mouths they will eat. The gar probably didn't help the situation either lol. I learned the hard way that bichirs are faster than they appear. I purchased 2 odoe pikes and 3" and I did not think my delhezi poly would be able to catch them....my underestimation of his hunting skills and $50 sushi for him later I grew the remaining odoe out first lol.
that tank needs at least a 25% every week. I'd actually do about 30-40% with that population weekly.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
50% weekly and see if you can upgrade ur tank asap. But my money is still on the polys for the bite marks.

Needle nose gar don't have the teeth to chomp down.

Anyways predkeep is right on the mark!

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
50% weekly and see if you can upgrade ur tank asap. But my money is still on the polys for the bite marks.

Needle nose gar don't have the teeth to chomp down.

Anyways predkeep is right on the mark!
I just assumed rocket gars had some teeth to do work haha never owned one, though ya the sen's are a good bet for tailless feeders too lol.

sini5t3r

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
The gar has some good sized teeth on it for a smaller sized fish. Do the eels have teeth? I read peacocks get like almost a foot n a half but do they stay small or do they get thick like the tire track? Are you guys referring to the bichar when you say polys? The bichar are def the easiest to feed they love blood worms and fishing sized night crawlers I throw in for the eels. The tank is actually good sized for the size of the fish that's why Igot them now so I don't miss out on them in the future as I lI've in a small town. And water changes weekly? Even with the k1 filters that are in good sized containers? I read those keep your nitrates and stuff down pretty good and I've got two running full blast.... A question about the archer fish...Fed the coolest fish I've ever seen squirt water two feet out of the tank but how aggressive do they get? Mine is prob about 3-4 inches

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
The gar has some good sized teeth on it for a smaller sized fish. Do the eels have teeth? I read peacocks get like almost a foot n a half but do they stay small or do they get thick like the tire track? Are you guys referring to the bichar when you say polys? The bichar are def the easiest to feed they love blood worms and fishing sized night crawlers I throw in for the eels. The tank is actually good sized for the size of the fish that's why Igot them now so I don't miss out on them in the future as I lI've in a small town. And water changes weekly? Even with the k1 filters that are in good sized containers? I read those keep your nitrates and stuff down pretty good and I've got two running full blast.... A question about the archer fish...Fed the coolest fish I've ever seen squirt water two feet out of the tank but how aggressive do they get? Mine is prob about 3-4 inches
Eels don't have teeth that I know off.

and I'm real sure peacocks don't get that big.

yes polys are the bichirs, their scientific name is polypterus senegalis.

Get them and the gar on prepared foods like tilapia and pellets.

a 55 won't last long, it may seem large now.

Yes weekly changes, K1, ceramic rings, bio balls etc etc etc only provide a home for your beneficial bacteria, and there are two kinds in your tank, one that uses ammonia and one that uses nitrites. NiTRATES are the dissolved solids in your water after the bacteria break down the other two. This can only be removed via water changes. No bacteria will use nitrates. Other methods of removal include live plants which use nitrates but this is generally only a supplemental to water changes unless you literally fill your entire tank top with pothos plants. Seachem makes a product called purigen which is said to remove nitrates however it does expire and you have to recharge it using bleach which in my head is faaaaar more work than water changes and you would need a LOT to pull all the nitrates out without doing weekly WC's

predatorkeeper87

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2014
pennsylvania
I'm guessing you are fairly newer to the hobby. I suggest reading up on the nitrogen cycle. I gave you a very general description of its workings above, but always good to know more specific details.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store