3 Silvers in a tank, whats best? Help Please

MistirE

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Hawaii
Well, I am experienced with owning arowana first off. At the same time, have a new set up and changes the dynamics of the situation. I have a HUGE set up being built by Issack...thanks buddy. If you wanna see pix of the build type Issack in the seach bar and look for a 460g furniture pt2 in the DIY section here on MFK. Well MFKers, I have 3 silvers.....all pretty small....about 7, 8, and 9 inches.....one bigger than the other. Thing is that they are starting to test each other out...bassically snapping at each other....mostly around feeding time.....they all eat a considerable amount.....about 5 food sticks each for each feeding....which is 2-3 times a day. I would think feeding would calm the little monsters but no.....any thoughts? None of the fish are getting hurt but I would like to see if anyone has something that could help.......I am going to introduce them into the larger tank sometime in the next month considering cycling the tank...sorry, they are in a 180g at the moment so it is large enough for now.......Thanks for reading and any help would be appreciated.;)

MistirE

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Hawaii
Here are the pix to make it easier.......it is 8 feet long....and a little under 500g......with overkill when it comes to filtration.......this tank is not laquered yet.....curl in the wood will come out dramatically when done. Enjoy:popcorn:

t1.jpg

t2.jpg

t3.jpg

ctoychik

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
LAOS
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Wait and see mate. There is no other way. As long as there is no major fighting (lost scales, broken fins etc) it should be fine. Just be ready to move if there is problem

Good luck (and awesome tank)

PS: I have three silvers in the same tank now. seems ok

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Very nice, that will be one heck of a set up. With the silvers, just make sure that one isn't getting it worse then the others. If ya see one aro sitting at the bottom of the tank, then get it separated. You can try adding alot of floating plants and some current to distract them some. Just have to try different things, hopefully you'll find something that works.

Good luck,

MistirE

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Hawaii
ctoychik;4388732; said:
Wait and see mate. There is no other way. As long as there is no major fighting (lost scales, broken fins etc) it should be fine. Just be ready to move if there is problem

Good luck (and awesome tank)

PS: I have three silvers in the same tank now. seems ok
Thanks, I figured the same....yup, no nothing on any fish....just the action of aggresion.....snapping but each holds their own and feeds.....seems like the smaller ones are eatting more than the larger to catch up in size.....

MistirE

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Hawaii
Bderick67;4388761; said:
Very nice, that will be one heck of a set up. With the silvers, just make sure that one isn't getting it worse then the others. If ya see one aro sitting at the bottom of the tank, then get it separated. You can try adding alot of floating plants and some current to distract them some. Just have to try different things, hopefully you'll find something that works.

Good luck,
Thanks, Ill keep hiding places in mind if it seems to worsen.

MistirE

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 28, 2007
Hawaii
The biggest one seems to be dominate. the other two, swim tward the bottom to avoid him. they all are eatting like pigs, especially the small ones....seems they wanna catch up. Is this okay? will they be fine like this....no, missing scales, just snapping at each other....be like this for a few days.....tank is almost ready to start cycling....currently in 180g....can anyone give me some input?

iloveoscars702

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 4, 2008
Canada... i wish.
MistirE;4393449; said:
The biggest one seems to be dominate. the other two, swim tward the bottom to avoid him. they all are eatting like pigs, especially the small ones....seems they wanna catch up. Is this okay? will they be fine like this....no, missing scales, just snapping at each other....be like this for a few days.....tank is almost ready to start cycling....currently in 180g....can anyone give me some input?

my three do the same... the biggest one keeps the left side, the smallest takes the right and the second biggest was forced to the middle lol. but all are eating like crazy so im not worried.

silver fish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2010
Double Oak, TX
Three is tough to keep in one tank, as you said you have a dominate one, you will always have a dominate one. I would suggest adding two more. You want an odd number but you don't have enough. I have seven silvers and they get along great. I had tried three many years ago and it got down to one. You can also try adding a target fish like a small koi for distractioncbut big enough they can not eat.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store