30 foot monster

ausknife

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2007
sydney, australia
i heard that you were killing em now. we just started killing red eared sliders in australia. theyre everywhere now.

ausknife

Gambusia
MFK Member
Sep 18, 2007
sydney, australia
perhaps it was an eel. a family in europe had been told for a few generations that jjjbjbm bm ,jkgyjgjhkgjkyard. The story went that grandpa had put an eel in there in 1861 and there was some form of documentation to prove this date. in 07' or 08' they decided to check on this eel they had been blindly feeding for years. when they went down the well they discovered a 60 cm eel alive and well. though severely stunted. the eel was 147 years old. if an eel lived for 147 years in prime environment. it could quite possibly (science has proven) grow to 30 ft. it is now speculated that nessie is probably an eel.

SimonL

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 23, 2005
Ontario, Canada
it is now speculated that nessie is probably an eel.
Speculated by people without critical thinking skills...Until that (proven false) picture surfaced in 1934, there had been no mention of a large aquatic animal in Loch Ness, despite the fact people had been living near it for hundreds of years. Only after that picture appeared did all of a sudden sightings start popping up.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a fan of cryptozoology, but "Nessie" is a creation of popular fiction and hyperbole.

Acheloos

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2008
Germany
bestiarium.kryptozoologie.net
The idea that a century-old eel could grow to monster proportions seems nice, but it is completely without scientific background. I once wrote an article about this for a magazine, based on the growth-rates of many hundred european eels which were examined for a scientific study in Ireland. It came out that even the very largest eels were still well lesser than 1,5 m, and some of them were over 60 years old. The growth becomes slower and slower the older the eels become (as in nearly all other animals which can grow during their whole life). Even if an eel would live for 200 years, it would not grow bigger than 2 m, because its growth would have slowed down to nearly zero. The very largest documented eels were around 1,5 m, what fits perfectly with the dates of maximum size for a very fast-growing and very old eel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store