30 gallon reef lighting

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
hawaii
joncd;4418791; said:
You are confusing terms. 15000k represents the bulbs color temperature. That is akin to asking if a 5 gallon bucket will hold 15 lbs of rocks. Different units of measure. What you need to concern yourself with, primarily, is wattage. Sunpod makes a really nice 150watt unit.

http://www.current-usa.com/sunpod.html

As has been posted you might run into temperature issues. I would also recommend getting a piece of glass or acrylic sized and cut to fit over the top of your tank or else you will run into issues with evaporation.
thanks, but sorry to make that unclear, would a 250watt metal halide at around 15000k be alright?

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
Thats a little high for a 30g. Some might like it, but for general purpose mixed reef, I would say thats a little intense. Go with a 150w maybe? You should still be able to grow whatever you want at the top of your rockwork.

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
hawaii
FLESHY;4422644; said:
Thats a little high for a 30g. Some might like it, but for general purpose mixed reef, I would say thats a little intense. Go with a 150w maybe? You should still be able to grow whatever you want at the top of your rockwork.
Thanks man, so that would be a little too much?

What about this?

36" 156W T5 HO

2x 39W T5 High Output Daylight 12000K

2x 39W T5 High Output Actinic Blue

3x Dual Bluemoon LED

israelm

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2007
Miami, Florida
Forgive me if it is a bad assumption, but it seems that this is your first salt water tank. Keeping hard and soft carols of the bat is not a good idea. First off , i believe you should set up your tank first.get the tank running with all the parameters in check.

Lighting:

metal halide : as stated before 250watt way to str0ng for a 30g.
Cons: Creates lots of heat. Going to need good space above water surface or else it will increase your water temp. therefore the need for a chiller. Also very expensive not only to buy but to maintain in the sense that you Energy bill will go up.

T5: will not do for all corals , only for beginner , hardy corals.

LED: I Highly recommend led`s. They are not cheap to start. but It will not raise you water temp( no chiller). no bulb replacement since there is no filament, will not raise you BILL, and ,makes the tank beautiful with the underwater effect of sunlight.

Hope this helps is some way

FLESHY

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 7, 2006
Central Wisconsin
808;4422729; said:
Thanks man, so that would be a little too much?

What about this?

36" 156W T5 HO

2x 39W T5 High Output Daylight 12000K

2x 39W T5 High Output Actinic Blue

3x Dual Bluemoon LED
This sounds fine to me. You will have problems growing light demanding stuff on the bottom, but I dont think you need to be worried about that yet. Should be enough for now.

israelm;4433307; said:
Forgive me if it is a bad assumption, but it seems that this is your first salt water tank. Keeping hard and soft carols of the bat is not a good idea. First off , i believe you should set up your tank first.get the tank running with all the parameters in check.

Lighting:

metal halide : as stated before 250watt way to str0ng for a 30g.
Cons: Creates lots of heat. Going to need good space above water surface or else it will increase your water temp. therefore the need for a chiller. Also very expensive not only to buy but to maintain in the sense that you Energy bill will go up.

T5: will not do for all corals , only for beginner , hardy corals.

LED: I Highly recommend led`s. They are not cheap to start. but It will not raise you water temp( no chiller). no bulb replacement since there is no filament, will not raise you BILL, and ,makes the tank beautiful with the underwater effect of sunlight.

Hope this helps is some way
Okay...pretty good. But not entirely true.

Corals are simple animals. They have simple needs. The needs are fairly easy to meet. I started with a reef tank when I was 12 years old. Im pretty sure if 808 is careful, follows some advice, he can do this with minimal pain and suffering.

There are people who would use a 250w on a thirty...its not me, but people have done it. It would be an SPS or clam tank most likely.

T5 can be used to grow ANYTHING...that being said you need way more bulbs than if it was MH.

LED's are getting to be pretty awesome, but they are still more expensive than they need to be. The technology is not all there yet either. In the next five years we will start to see polished LED fixtures coming off the line. Until then wait.

israelm

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 21, 2007
Miami, Florida
Thanks for the critique in a responsible manner but however i still believe that
Some corals are suitable for beginners and others are more for advanced aquarists.

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 3, 2008
hawaii
Thanks for the all the help guys.

israelm: Thanks for all the advice, its not my first saltwater, i have 2 others running, but im no expert. My other tanks are fowlr tanks, this new tank i just want to try a reef. ill stay away from the 250w metal halide then, and just go with something a little lower.

FLESHY: Thanks for all the info and help. I think im gonna settle with a 150 watt mh with t5's. Hows that sound?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store