300 Gallon Plywood tank build

maxumis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2006
South Africa
Thanx for all the kind words guys. Much appreciated. But there is still a lot to be done. The background still needs to be built in, and it will incorporate 2 cascade type internal filters. I'm still working on the design, but they should look something like this.
cascade.jpg
The filter intake will be at the bottom of the unit. The flow should be great enough to blow debris up and over to the next chamber which will have coarse filter sponge in it. Thus, poop on top, easy to clean. The water will then make its way down and under into the "pump chamber", where it will be pumped to under gravel jets. These units will be on either side of the overflow box of the tank.

Here's a pic of the sump in action. Still needs a bit of media, but it looks good. Water is going where and how it should.
IMG_0059.jpg
Neon green water courtesy of DriftWood Pee Pee R us. :irked:

Haha, whats the pH?
I took the PH yesterday and it was about 8. Normally my PH is about 8.2...

Approximate cost??
Hard to say. But I estimate close to $800US maybe a little more.

Derpeder

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 18, 2006
looking shaweet!!!!

How much did it cost?.....................................................jk. lol

maxumis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2006
South Africa
Not much has happened since my last post. I'm currently busy with an experimental background build. I'm building 2 so I'll take pics of the next one. I'm just not to sure if my little plan will #1 look good and #2 work. My engineer friends doubt that I'll be able to move and handle the experimental background without it breaking or cracking. I on the other hand am feeling hopeful.
Oh well, here's a run down of the plan. Build an inverse mould of what the background should look like with polystyrene layers and sand. So what you want here is basically an impression in a sandpit of your background like it fell out of the sky. I did this in a "sandpit" I made from polystyrene sheets...
Then once you have the shape/mould of your background press some rocks up against the sand, to leave impressions of their surface texture on the sand.
Now plaster your mould with cement. I made my plaster layer about 2/5" thick. Okay, this is part is important. Let the cement/plastered layer cure the right way! DON'T let it dry out! Keep it moist. I do this by covering my "sandpit" with plastic and using a mist gun to wet it once a day. Cement cures a lot stronger this way, and will tend to crack less. This is where I'm at at the moment; day 4 of the curing process. I plan to open it tomorrow and leaving it for 2 days to dry out. Once dry I'm going to paint it with a nice thick layer of polyester resin. Day after that I'm putting in another layer of polyester resin, but with chop strand mat (fiberglass baby!)... Day after that, one more layer of polyester and chop strand mat. And finally a layer of polyester again.
When all that has cured good and proper, I'll take the background out of the sandpit and rinse the loose sandpit sand off the background.
2 major advantages of this experimental method should be; a hollow background (can be used as a filter or to hide other equipment) AND texture. I'll post pics early next week of the end results of this little experiment.

Here's a pic of a cave I made this way... only without the fiberglass re-enforcement.
14.JPG

RAWLO

Candiru
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2007
australia
awsome tank, i'm writing up my cutting list for my tank-stand-hood right now, 1 question is how thick is yor glass? champion effort!

maxumis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 23, 2006
South Africa
RAWLO;1089239; said:
awsome tank, i'm writing up my cutting list for my tank-stand-hood right now, 1 question is how thick is yor glass? champion effort!
thanx man.
I used 3/8"(10mm) glass for the windows.

amehel0

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 3, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
he made everything himself, he even made the glass..............................jokes.. he made the sump.heres my 2cents. wat a fn MAD TANK!!!!!:headbang2 :headbang2 :headbang2 :headbang2 :headbang2 . i luv the whole 3 viewing windows idea.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store