300 gallon stand question

rbarn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2013
Texas
^I haven't used the woodbin calculator before, but I can't configure my setup above in it, namely due to the second sheet of plywood. The second sheet is what makes this work. I've assumed E=1.3x10^6 psi for stiffness, and δ = 5 q L[SUP]4[/SUP] / E I 384 for deflection.
All I can say is EVERYONE builds their stands much much much much much stronger. If you want to risk 300 gallons dumping out into the living room one day, go for it. I would still strongly recommend reinforcing the span with steel angle iron at the very least.

Acrylic is stonger than glass, but it is FAR less rigid than glass. You'll notice significant bowing across the front panel simply from the weight of the water pushing it out and this is completely normal.

jccaclimber

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2012
Lafayette, Indiana
^Fair enough. Wrapping an extra sheet of ply around the top/bottom, or using 2x6s in the core more than doubles the system. I may try this out in my garage with short legs, measure it full and empty, then adjust as needed. I don't however think a piece of steel angle is nearly as strong as people think it is, that or a bit of geometry and wood is stronger than expected. I suppose I can run the numbers on wooden stand/rack designs that have been used already.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store